Best bit for strong pony when out and about

Blueysmum

Visit site
13 year old pony has finally found her feet after 2 years of a lot of hard work and dedication. Never broken or backed before we got her.

14.3hh Cob who takes off when out and has started to during canter in school. Daughter (16) has regular 3x a week lessons and is now jumping 70cm+.

Pony has started to really really enjoy herself and clamps on during canter and can become quite strong, especially when hacking/fun rides out.

Currently in egg butt snaffle.

She’s doing amazing in the school but it’s mostly when out and about with other horses.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Tricky one. When you are piloting a cob, there's always a sensation that the horse is really in charge, no matter how good the schooling. You may find a stronger bit only encourages evasion and bad behaviour. A lot depends on the cob's character - the wily little thug will cheerfully ignore the rider, whilst a more sensitive type enjoys co-operating. My daughter found she had brakes with a hanging cheek snaffle, with a double joint, but once she stopped riding I tried a bitless bridle and never went back to a bit. Mind you, we always had to limit the number of horses he rode out with as silly behaviour ensued with any more than three.

Blueysmum

Visit site
Thanks all!

She’s a sensitive soul and usually takes her confidence from the rider but not a bad bone in her body, will literally walk into a wall if you don’t tell her where to go 😂🙈

Never done anything “bad” at all. We’re very lucky 😂

FitzyFitz

Visit site
Our old new forest used a Dr Bristol, worked well as it only really becomes strong when they stick their head down and pull. Another one uses a waterford as it's much harder to lean on. Like with anything it does depend a bit on what the pony is doing, i'm assuming it's using its neck and shoulder to tank off with head down? If so, a wilkie or a small universal might work as the mouthpiece lifts as it comes into action and can help pick their head back up.

For a probably more extreme case than yours: I have a welshy who is normally ridden in a snaffle but developed a nasty habit of sticking his short little neck down and charging off when he felt like it. I now put him in a small butterfly pelham if i'm expecting trouble. Different mouthpiece was no good because he'd put up with the disomcfort if it got what he wanted, but you can't lean on a curb chain.
I ride in a single rein on the bottom ring but with VERY light/non existent contact, it would need double reins for riding with a contact and sensitive hands regardless.

dottylottie

Visit site
Our old new forest used a Dr Bristol, worked well as it only really becomes strong when they stick their head down and pull. Another one uses a waterford as it's much harder to lean on. Like with anything it does depend a bit on what the pony is doing, i'm assuming it's using its neck and shoulder to tank off with head down? If so, a wilkie or a small universal might work as the mouthpiece lifts as it comes into action and can help pick their head back up.

For a probably more extreme case than yours: I have a welshy who is normally ridden in a snaffle but developed a nasty habit of sticking his short little neck down and charging off when he felt like it. I now put him in a small butterfly pelham if i'm expecting trouble. Different mouthpiece was no good because he'd put up with the disomcfort if it got what he wanted, but you can't lean on a curb chain.
I ride in a single rein on the bottom ring but with VERY light/non existent contact, it would need double reins for riding with a contact and sensitive hands regardless.

i’ve changed to a pelham now to give me a bit of an emergency brake, and she seems to like it more than the other bit.

bit of different scenario though, because she has to have a straight rubber bar, so i don’t have many options🤣 i like the pelham though because i really do only use the bottom rein if i really need it - most of the time it’s like a washing line hacking out, i just get hold of it when she starts bouncing about like a numpty! i didn’t want to change to something that was stronger all the time, because she doesn’t need it.

FitzyFitz

Visit site
i’ve changed to a pelham now to give me a bit of an emergency brake, and she seems to like it more than the other bit.

bit of different scenario though, because she has to have a straight rubber bar, so i don’t have many options🤣 i like the pelham though because i really do only use the bottom rein if i really need it - most of the time it’s like a washing line hacking out, i just get hold of it when she starts bouncing about like a numpty! i didn’t want to change to something that was stronger all the time, because she doesn’t need it.

That's sort of how I ended up doing it with mine, ride with washing lines all the time, a universal was no good because the fractional delay between picking the rein up and the action happening was long enough for the little sod to tank off, pelham a) had a very different action and b) has an immediate effect. He doesn't even really try it on now, knows he'll have to stop immediately so we just avoid the whole fight and I never have to pull. Significantly better than getting tanked off with yanking on a snaffle!

What a pain having a mouthpiece restrcition too!

maya2008

Visit site
Not every pony is the same. I’ve not had one react badly to a Tom Thumb, but some react badly to anything with a curb chain.

My bit progression usually goes:
- snaffle (French link/lozenge/single joint)
- Dutch gag/universal (I don’t use the bottom ring on the Dutch gag so doesn’t matter which!) with same mouthpiece as the snaffle.
- Tom Thumb
- Pelham

Fix the problem then work back down the ‘tree’ to snaffle again a few months later.

I have a friend who doesn’t like leverage so changes the mouthpiece instead, as people have suggested here.

Other things to consider:
-Is the pony becoming ‘strong’ and leaning on the bit because they’ve tweaked something behind/got a nice bruise from a kick?
-Is the pony becoming ‘strong’ in canter because they’ve now got the hang of it, but without enough balance/muscle so are powering along on the forehand and then can’t get underneath themselves enough to stop?
- Are they getting enough turnout? Has the level of work changed (half fit horses for example are notorious for being nutty)?

Often a stronger bit is a temporary means to control so you can fix the problem, so help them develop muscles they are missing or add schooling to explain how to balance themselves better. Then you will only need it in exciting situations.

Blueysmum

Visit site
She barely needs leg to move and mostly going on voice command now.

I think it might be that she’s unbalanced in canter but is getting there, it’s only the last 6 months she’s been able to even hold a canter. She is much fitter and muscly (?? No idea how to spell lol) now.

Yes she’s on daily turn out 8am - 5pm and rode 5 times a week.
X

Blueysmum

Visit site
Thank you! Our 7 yo rides her as well, and tbh she’s so slow and chilled with her but they haven’t tried hacking yet but my daughter is desperate to.

It’s crazy how she knows the difference when each of them rides lol