Best Boots for close moving horse??

cornwallexracers

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone could recommend some boots for my youngster. He's ended up whacking himself a couple of times now after working in the school even though he's booted up all round.

We videoed him, and especially on a circle he seems to move quite close in front and brushing his front legs, but lower down than where a brushing boot sits. It's almost the bottom of the fetlock / pastern rather that he's catching and on occasion almost tripping over his own feet, as he's quite a leggy horse and not quite sure what goes where yet!

Currently he wears brushing boots with OR boots, but the area he's catching is the very bit that's unprotected, so I'm looking at something which comes down below the fetlock, like the Professional Choice SMB boots or similar.

Just wondered if anyone had any similar issues or could suggest/recommend some boots for him?

cornwallexracers

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Pastern wraps might be worth looking at I suppose. I don't think the fetlock boots would help as they don't go any lower than the brushing boots he's already in, and the problem is in front anyway. That's why I was looking at the sports medicine boots or similar as they go down around the fetlock which seems to be the area he's catching.

simplyhunting

Visit site
We have a filly who does similar- but too her hinds. We simply bandage her legs as we can then adjust how much cover she gets, and drop them a little lower than usual to ensure the area she catches is covered. Works well.

Or a Yorkshire boot may suit?

Joyous70

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Pastern wraps might be worth looking at I suppose. I don't think the fetlock boots would help as they don't go any lower than the brushing boots he's already in, and the problem is in front anyway. That's why I was looking at the sports medicine boots or similar as they go down around the fetlock which seems to be the area he's catching.

i have the sports medicine boots, got them from NEW equine, but when i looked on the website i couldn't see them again i was going to send you a link. I like them as they cover the fetlock, however, my girl managed to get rubs off her's which caused her to get mud fever this winter, so now im mega careful of how i put them on, not sure it it was my own inadequate booting up that caused the scuffs or if the sand worked its way in.

cornwallexracers

Visit site
i have the sports medicine boots, got them from NEW equine, but when i looked on the website i couldn't see them again i was going to send you a link. I like them as they cover the fetlock, however, my girl managed to get rubs off her's which caused her to get mud fever this winter, so now im mega careful of how i put them on, not sure it it was my own inadequate booting up that caused the scuffs or if the sand worked its way in.

Have just had a search for the NEW boots and apparently they've been discontinued which is a shame as the only Professional Choice SMB for sale seem to be in America!! Oh well the search continues....

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Sorry, I thought you meant the hinds for some reason! The sports medicine ones look great.....so expensive, Im sure premier equine do a similar less expensive alternative.

Joyous70

Visit site