best brushes

Luclila

Visit site
investing in some brushes and am wondering what your ideas for the best ones are? i've heard alot about the haas & le mieux?? also what bags/boxes people like

equestrian7474

Visit site
I just get whatever’s handiest - they do the same thing regardless of price tag. They go missing and get damaged so easily. I never go to LeMieux for simple things like brushes!

catkin

Visit site
My ponies have always had their own opinions on brushes so you may need to experiment a little.
The Haas Schimmel brush seems to suit a lot of horses. It is probably used the most of all my brushes on my Fell both when he's in both summer coat and clipped. I like natural bristle body brushes because I think you get a better shine, otherwise the cheap as chips magic brushes are good as are the plastic curry combs for long manes and tails.
The grooming item I won't be without is a pure linen stable rubber great for finishing off (mine are actually vintage tea towelsfrom a charity shop!)
I still find the old-fashioned plastic tack tray the easiest to lug kit about in.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Most of my grooming kit is cheap and cheerful however I do have a couple of Haas brushes and they are brilliant at getting mud and stains off a grey

emilylou

Visit site
All of mine are about 10-15 years old,. bought from countrytwide cheap section and still going strong. Invest in well fitting rugs and tack, fancy brushes arent worth the price tag!

PoniesRock

Visit site
I’ve got cheap and cheerful for everyday brushing off. But I do have some HAAS brushes for hunting mornings/days out. Which I love! I find the shimmel (not sure if that’s how it’s spelt) is great for lifting stable stains or any grim!

st_marks

Visit site
The two things I use every day and couldn't live without are a Tiger's Tongue and a really good hoof pick. Most days that's all I really need.

After that... what gets the most use is a Epona flexible curry and Haas Noir brush for a final polish. And tons and tons of clean rags/towels. I did use the Haas Schimmel a lot when I had a gray. I have a lot of nice Haas and Stubben medium brushes/body brushes and honestly barely use them.

oldie48

Visit site
I think you can use cheaper brushes very successfully but I got a set of Haas brushes as a birthday present and I love them. Mine were for a dark coat and the shine I got was brilliant, so much better than with my old brushes with a lot less effort. They are, of course, ridiculously expensive but if you can afford them I think they are lovely!

I'm Dun

Visit site
I use the schimmel more than anything, and really like the diva for a final polish. I have a goat hair body brush. The rest of my brushes are just cheapies, but I wouldn't be without those two Haas brushes

nagblagger

Visit site
Hi..sorry for the delay in getting back..kept forgetting... I use the bentley slip not range, they are small enough for my hands and as it says do not slip..

Visit site
investing in some brushes and am wondering what your ideas for the best ones are? i've heard alot about the haas & le mieux?? also what bags/boxes people like
Id recommend getting a set they come with all the brushes you need and a bag to carry them on . You can buy them on amazon

eggs

Visit site
I've got loads of grooming brushes/other bits of kit collected over the years but the ones I use most are a good hoofpick, a circular metal curry comb for getting mud off, a flick brush and a paddle brush for brushing the mane and tail.

I have got a number of Haas brushes and whilst they are good I tend to just give a quick flick to get the mud off before riding.

I keep the brushes I use regularly in an old shoe cleaning plastic box.

Katieg123

Visit site
If you can afford them Haas brushes are the best of the best. I also use a tigers tongue and/or cactus mitt which are great.

dottylottie

Visit site
i’m very much a lazy groomer, i like her to look her best but don’t have the energy for brush after brush, but i do love the haas brushes i have.

my most used are:
kbf-99 dandy brush, no idea if the claims actually work but i like it for getting mud off legs, supposedly kills bacteria so i’d like to think it aids against mud rash

slip not bentley flick brush, ideal candidate for shedding season and loose hair, the only one i use some days

haas lippizaner, gets the grime up from under their coat really well i find

haas feliglanzburste (something along those lines), really really nice body brush for getting rid of everything the lippizaner got up and making her super shiny!

other than that they’re random cheap ones i’ve had for god knows how long. i do have the slip not mane and tail brush too, i’ll be very sad if i can’t find another when it needs replacing because i love the specific handle/square head combo, none of the others i’ve tried quite feel right, but maybe i’m an odd one🤣

the haas brushes are so worth it imo, but don’t be conned into the full sets for each colour. the lippizaner is in every set though, and i would say rightly so!

ETA: i can’t believe i forgot magic brushes!! i have a slight problem with these, i’ve got one for the horse, one for cleaning brushes, a pack of 3 i haven’t used because they’re too pretty (water lily set), and a new one my mum got me without realising how many i have! love love love them lol, the fake ones do exactly the same thing too

dottylottie

Visit site
oh for bags/boxes, i love my le mieux one! i have the smaller of the two which is plenty big enough for a fair few brushes & small versions of mane & tail etc though i put mine in the side pocket. i upgraded from an ancient tool box style one, and it’s so much more practical because of the strap, and has little stud legs so it doesn’t get wet on the floor!

FitzyFitz

Visit site
90% of the time (definitely this time of year) all I use on their body are those plastic magic brushes and maybe a normal dandy brush to flick the dust off a bit. Kramer do a version of these with longer bristles and one end narrower which is great for elbows/behind ears and seems slightly more effective at getting grot off. Otherwise I just use cheapo brushes, often in kids sizes as I have tiny hands!

As far as bags go though, HY Equestrian do an EXCELLENT navy rectangular one with 3 big internal sections (middle one has 4 sections for fly spray bottles etc) and pockets all around the outside of various types. Stands up properly by itself unlike those round ones and has a sturdy mesh bottom so the dirt falls out. Best designed grooming bag I've ever used by far.