Best budget running harness (dog)

vallin

Visit site
Daisy dog is coming to us for another 'holiday' over easter so she'll be coming running with me again. I've run with her before and we've done a couple of parkruns in her cheapo harness from petsathome. However it wasn't bought for running and really isn't the best fit now she's bulked up a bit. I'd like to get a better fitting harness for her to run in whilst she's with us but given that she's not our dog I don't want to spend more than £30 and preferably less...

Any suggestions? Picture below to give idea of shape

18556657_10207285963102195_8925757850482898231_o.jpg

TIA
V

Last edited:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
can't see the picture? but from what I remember she's not a difficult shape like a long dog.

If she's a strong puller she would be better in a non-stop free motion (which I ran Quarrie in), if she's not you might be fine in a Second Skin (which is what I run my smooth in)

https://www.snowpawstore.com/dog-harness/non-stop-dogwear-freemotion-harness.html

https://www.snowpawstore.com/dog-harness/second-skin-harness.html

I know some start out with the neewa-I've no experience of them though

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/esearch.htm#q=running

vallin

Visit site
can't see the picture? but from what I remember she's not a difficult shape like a long dog.

If she's a strong puller she would be better in a non-stop free motion (which I ran Quarrie in), if she's not you might be fine in a Second Skin (which is what I run my smooth in)

https://www.snowpawstore.com/dog-harness/non-stop-dogwear-freemotion-harness.html

https://www.snowpawstore.com/dog-harness/second-skin-harness.html

I know some start out with the neewa-I've no experience of them though

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/esearch.htm#q=running

The non stop is more than I want to spend unfortunately but the second skin looks reasonable. Have also found this ruffwear one on ebay for £35...?

http://www.ruffwear.co.uk/dog-gear/harnesses/omnijore-harness

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
although ruff stuff is very good usually, I've heard cani x ers say that their cani cross stuff is not the best. I'm not an expert but looking at that, I think someone with a hard puller would want a floating harness like the non-stop so wouldn't much like that one. So it might be fine or it might make her wheeze like a good 'un!

I can see the pic now- if you have a local group they'll have kit you can try out and there will be sh stuff around-if you are running decent distances and want her to pull, the right harness makes a big difference.

vallin

Visit site
although ruff stuff is very good usually, I've heard cani x ers say that their cani cross stuff is not the best. I'm not an expert but looking at that, I think someone with a hard puller would want a floating harness like the non-stop so wouldn't much like that one. So it might be fine or it might make her wheeze like a good 'un!

I can see the pic now- if you have a local group they'll have kit you can try out and there will be sh stuff around-if you are running decent distances and want her to pull, the right harness makes a big difference.

That was my concern with the ruffwear harness, the chest piece is quite large. We'll be running 5k so nothing massive but I would like her to be comfortable ;) Will see if I can find the non-stop on ebay for cheap as £30 really is the max I want to spend given that she's not ours and the MIL won't use it.

vallin

Visit site
^^ Manmat harnesses are great kit (my first one, bought eight years ago, is still in daily use) but wouldn't be my first choice for a long slim dog.

She does look a classic Non Stop Freemotion shape, sorry! Zero DC might be a cheaper compromise? Runners Retreat have 14% off them with code Valentine14. http://www.runnersretreat.biz/category.asp?ID=226

Balls :p What's the difference between the free motion and the Nansen Nome?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
The Nansen is a traditional x-back, designed for a lower hitch/pulling point - not really for canicross unless you are a short person/tall dog combo or have a very long line ;)

vallin

Visit site
The Nansen is a traditional x-back, designed for a lower hitch/pulling point - not really for canicross unless you are a short person/tall dog combo or have a very long line ;)

Probabły not ideal for the short line I need to stop her tripping up other runners during parkrun then! Lol

Amye

Visit site
We have the Zero DC short for canicross with our dog. Might be slightly more than you want to spend but not by too much. Fits really well and we like it - doesn't move at all when running.

I know a few other people who use them too and they rate them :)

vallin

Visit site
We have the Zero DC short for canicross with our dog. Might be slightly more than you want to spend but not by too much. Fits really well and we like it - doesn't move at all when running.

I know a few other people who use them too and they rate them :)

Brill, will have a look at them, thanks :)

eatmyshorts

Visit site
She's GSP x if i remember right, isn't she? (she's lovely BTW!). A lot of folk with GSP's or hound types find the Non-Stop Freemotion fits well, & of course, it's quite adjustable, but they are a bit more pricey. Manmat do a hound harness designed for deeper chested dogs, so that may be an option for her (priced around £30 mark, & Manmat kit tends to last forever). They are x-backs, but are fine for canicross, especially with experienced dogs or hard pullers. Manmat also do a shoulder harness called a Run harness (again around £30), which may be better if she is new to working in harness. I personally don't like Neewa ... the chest piece seems quite high & i'd worry about it restricting the windpipe. Best idea would be to see if you can take her along to a local group & try a few on her before you buy one, or take her somewhere she can be fitted, because what suits one won't suit another.

vallin

Visit site
She's GSP x if i remember right, isn't she? (she's lovely BTW!). A lot of folk with GSP's or hound types find the Non-Stop Freemotion fits well, & of course, it's quite adjustable, but they are a bit more pricey. Manmat do a hound harness designed for deeper chested dogs, so that may be an option for her (priced around £30 mark, & Manmat kit tends to last forever). They are x-backs, but are fine for canicross, especially with experienced dogs or hard pullers. Manmat also do a shoulder harness called a Run harness (again around £30), which may be better if she is new to working in harness. I personally don't like Neewa ... the chest piece seems quite high & i'd worry about it restricting the windpipe. Best idea would be to see if you can take her along to a local group & try a few on her before you buy one, or take her somewhere she can be fitted, because what suits one won't suit another.

I'll have a look at those suggestions, thanks. Took her to do parkrun today in her nirmal harness and she definitely needs an upgrade as she's filled out since we last had her as well.

vallin

Visit site
So I think its a toss up between the manmat hound harness and manmat run harness. What I can't work out is where the lead attaches on the hound harness...?

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Sorry .. just noticed your query. The hound harness has a rope loop at the back (which will sit near the dog's tail) where you attach your line.

vallin

Visit site
Sorry .. just noticed your query. The hound harness has a rope loop at the back (which will sit near the dog's tail) where you attach your line.

Thank you, I figured it out eventually lol. I have ordered the run harness as decided it would be better for general purpose as well.

JGC

Visit site
Can I revive this thread and ask how you have got on with the Manmat harness, Vallin? I have a GSP and have always run off lead with her, but having moved house we need to do more on lead, so really need a new harness, but budget is quite tight (moving house is expensive!)

Lucyad

Visit site
Can I revive as well, looking for recommendations for harness for a blue heeler? A small girly one lol! She isn't a strong puller, but hopefully will pull more when in a proper harness. To run 5k's and 10k's. Thanks!

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Interested in starting Canicross with my new addition when she’s physically mature enough (GSDxMali), what harness would peeps recommend for this type of dog, please?

vallin

Visit site
I really like it and she seems comfy in it, my only criticism is that it does go lopsided quite easily. Will post some pictures when I've got the laptop.

Littlefloof

Visit site
Not sure if this has already been suggested but if you are in the UK there are some Buy/Sell groups on FB that are worth keeping an eye on for second hand harnesses, belts and lines. Search for 'Bikejor and Canicross Kit for sale', 'Canicross Midlands Classifieds' and 'Mushers Exchange', for example. You can pick up decent harnesses for usually around half to two thirds of the original retail price, and if they don't work out for you or your dog, sell them on for around the same price. I have sold, and bought, Manmat, Zero DC and Non Stop kit through these sites.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Bumping to say that if anyone is looking to buy harnesses from K9 Trail Time (highly recommended!) try quoting K9TTBSSF5 for £5 off spends over £50 and K9TTBSSF10 for £10 off spends over £100. Need to be used before September as I'm letting my membership lapse (dogs retiring).