Best calmer for slightly excitable TB...!!

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Hopefully now Happy is back on track and so I'm going to start thinking about doing some hunter trials and team chasing at the end of August/beginning September before cubbing starts (I know I may be thinking way ahead here but...!!) Happy gets quite excitable in company. He is fine out exercising, in fact he loves going out with other people but when it comes to going to events etc where there are lots of people doing different things and loudspeakers etc he gets really het up (esp. in the warm up area). He is fine once we get going on the course but I always feel its a bit hit and miss before then. He also takes a while to settle out hunting and once the first half hour and first gallop is out the way he is fine.

But I'm quite interested in feeding him a calmer to see if that might make a slight difference and wondered what other people use and what is best. Is it best to feed one constantly or give him a shot of something before going to an event?

He reacts very well to sedalin (although I'd never give him it and ride him)!!

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated. Might as well try and calm the loopy one down so I can enjoy taking him to parties!!

paintsplat05

Visit site
my friend's new horse is on a constant calmer but you can give extra before an event, i'm not sure what it's called sorry but it's a magnesium calmer.

djtlmum

Visit site
Have you heard of Cool, Calm & Collected from Equifeast?

Not a calmer as such but allows the horse to cope with stressful situations. I cannot reccomend it highly enough.

Most calmers are Magnesium based, such as NAF magic. Two that I would highly reccomend are Global herbs "Mag-calm" and Top Spec calmer (the name escapes me but it is in a white tub with a yellow label).

Good luck
smile.gif

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
Horse First - Relax Me!!

People on here recommended it to me, I emailed the company, got a call less than ten minutes later, talking me through it, how to use it etc. Have now been using it two weeks, and WOW - what a difference! Have used it on my 3yo colt, and he is so much more relaxed. They offer a full money back guarentee if it doesn't work on your horse. You feed them 2 scoops am and pm for first 5-10 days, then cut it down to one scoop per day. You then increase to two scoops per day the day before show, and two scoops morning of show if you feel necessary. You can just feed it as a one off as well. If you go on their website and give them a all, they will explain everything - but in my opinion it is fantastic!

http://www.horsefirst.net/

NR99

Visit site
Warning Oxyshot was good on our ID/TB Chessie Mare to help her focus in the dressage phase and did not affect her jumping performance, but on our TB gelding he was much much worse and really fought against the effect it was trying to have. When I spoke to others they had had similar experiences either really really good or an adverse reaction, so try it at home in a safe environment first time around.

china

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't GlobalHerbs have one specifically for TBs??

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, global herbs does a thoroughbred calmer.

StinkiPinki

Visit site
I tryed the Global herbs one on my mad TB and it didnt touch the sides, in fact i thought he was worse on it, im having good results at the mo with NAF magic liquid.