Best calmer (human)

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
As title… I have a anxious mare due to bad past, she is slowly getting better but after 9 months out the ring we have taken a step back! Problem is my nerves get the better of me when entering the ring (due to lose of confidence when competing) which obviously can’t be helping her underneath me! Is there any rescue remedies/calmers people recommend? Iv tried rescue remedy chewy sweets with no luck and human version of calming cookies but the flavours/texture just make me sick…
Any recommendations?
thanks!

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
I find the Rescue Remedy liquid helps, also Kalms which you can buy in a chemist but they tend to work if I take them for a few days before although a friend says she just needs them on the day.
Also if you can't eat on the day because of nerves like me, try Huel or an equivalent meal replacement drink, really helps. There's nothing worse than feeling nervous and not being able to eat so you add hunger and lack of energy to the general stress of it.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Kalms help me. If I'm going through a period of feeling generally anxious and on edge then I'll take them for a couple of weeks. They definitely take the edge off.

spookypony

Visit site
Time and practice, unfortunately! Can you borrow a more chilled horse to let you regain your ring confidence? Or take things back to a level where you do feel more comfortable, so you can give your mare the confidence she also needs?

I'd like to say wine, but in the long run, that'll just cause different problems!

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Thanks guys! I’ll try out the liquid version! I did think alcohol but im a bit of a heavy weight so may need a bottle to get me going! :p How much is recommended before a round?;)
The mare jumps at home and the warm up beautifully, size of fences I have no worry etc it’s just when im in the next to go in the ring waiting I just panic hence why I wonder if some of her ring anxiety is actually down to me! Obviously psychological on my behalf! We only are at bn/disco level unfortunately stepping down is hard as smaller stuff is normally unaff and it’s normally on on weekends/ evenings which I have to work weekends and nights But as you say time abs patience I’m hoping more we get out the more I settle which will hopefully settle her!

Ratface

Visit site
I find barley sugar sweets help. Probably best not use them eventing/showjumping though, in case of accidentally swallowing one whole!

Ratface

Visit site
I also find visualisation helps: breathe calmly and "see" you and your horse making the perfect approach, the perfect take off, bascule, balanced landing and preparation for the next successful conquest.
If the outcome is less than you had hoped for - you and your valiant horse have done your best. No animal or human can do any more. Best wishes.

Alibear

Visit site
As per SpookyPony, or weirdly someone told me hot drinks are better for nerves than cold ones. I find a good traditional cup of tea works well for me.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Lots of wine or prosecco!

Bach flower remedies are good I use a few for anxiety each one has a purpose to target certain things, you just choose a few that suit what you need and take them regularly.

spookypony

Visit site
Argh, that sort of psychological block is so annoying! After my accident with the SP (long-term posters may remember me posting rather concussed limericks from hospital...or maybe that was on Facebook...), I developed a weird fear of warm-up arenas, which made no sense at all, because the accident was on a road. I eventually figured it was because it was a somewhat open space, and I was scared of losing control...but identifying what I thought the issue was didn't help, really. If the Ballerina Mare was at all nervous, I'd be so scared myself that my lips would be blue, and my instructor at the time had to gently cajole me into action, which also made no sense at all, because she's NOT the Spooky Pony, and hasn't really ever done anything scary. Weirdly, on hacks/endurance rides, I was fine, once I got going, or if I rode a strange horse! You'd think that hacks would be an issue, given it was a road accident, but nooo...Over the past 2 years, the weird arena fear has finally dissipated (with a lot of work, tbh), and I think if I take her to a comp now (hopefully soon!), then I'll be absolutely fine and back to normal. So there is hope!

Maybe separate you and the mare, for a class or a few? As in, someone else jumps her, and you jump another horse? Just to try to rattle loose the block?