Best Calming Supplement

jo_pearl

Visit site
Hi guys!!!

I have a fab mare who I love to pieces but she is very hot and can get very worked up and tense when ridden especially out hacking.

Does anyone recommend a calmer I can feed her daily which may help??

Thanks in advance

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
the horse first calmer has changed my highly strung 5yo into such a different pony! Nothing else has changed but even in hand and in his stable he is much more settled and less reactive to stimuli.

JJS

Visit site
I've recently put my gelding on NAF Magic, and he's certainly been on his best behaviour lately.

PorkChop

Visit site
Try and get samples of a few as all horses will react differently.

The ones I have had success with are Equifeast Winningedge and for one off use Karma liquid.

jo_pearl

Visit site
She is a gem in hand but gets completely and utterly wound up when ever a horse goes passed her or you put your leg on.

I am slowly losing my nerve and giving up with her xx

Shay

Visit site
The problem with calmers is that each one is as different as each horse! If you search the forum you'll find loads of posts recommending pretty much every one - and an equal number saying they didn't work. I'm afraid its a bit trial and error. And I suspect a bit of placebo effect as well but who cares as long as it works!

In really general terms magnesium based calmers will only be effective if there is a lack of magnesium - usually in pasture. You can get your grass / hay individually tested - but that's expensive. But if there is a lack then magnesium based calmers can have a really spectacular effect. Anything with Valerian in it tends to work (although about 10% will get more hyper not less on it!) which is why Valerian is a banned substance for competing. Beyond that... hit and miss I'm afraid.

For what its worth... we use D&H Placid which is a blend of herbs but with no valerian as we compete. And NAF Single shot Magic in an emergency (Although I suspect that is more for the rider?!).

Good luck!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
the horse first calmer has changed my highly strung 5yo into such a different pony! Nothing else has changed but even in hand and in his stable he is much more settled and less reactive to stimuli.
I've used this on my mature should know better WB as he is quite a spooky horse. It seemed to make a real difference. I had him on it a couple of years, took him off over the summer this year as he was very relaxed then and going into Autumn had my first fall for 8 years after a big whip round at a stationary Range Rover parked in the woods! If his silliness continues he will go back on it. 😄

Last edited:

Tash88

Visit site
I agree re magnesium-based calmers - Magnitude didn't make much of a difference with my horse and I presume that was because the pasture wasn't deficient in magnesium. However Equine America Super So Kalm has been great (contains L-Tryptophan and calcium as well as magnesium). The fact you can give a double dose on and before spooky events is useful too.

jo_pearl

Visit site
I was advised to try Nupafeed Calmer

She is such a sweet mare but is so sharp.

Going to do lots of schooling with her aswell.

has anyone tried the Nupafeed Calmer?

Tried a Magnesium based calmer and it did sweet fa!!!