Best car for towing and what trailer?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My current Nissan will just about tow a single trailer and my horse, but I'd like a vehicle with a higher MAM and able to carry two horses. Any advice welcome! And someone mentioned that single trailers are dangerous and tip very easily. Is that true?

Last edited:

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
Not a Disco 1 unless you like welding. A lot.

Not a Disco 2 for the same reason, only on these it's the chassis that rots instead of the body so even more dangerous.

No advice beyond that from me I'm afraid!

From: person who's sick and tired of spending every waking moment welding a sodding Disco 1.

PorkChop

Visit site
I've had Ifor Williams trailers for the last 25 years, so a big thumbs up from me for them :)

My last towing car was a Mercedes ML and I have just bought a Land Rover 110 now that I don't need to do so many general road miles, both fantastic but the Land Rover is better off road!

I personally wouldn't want a single horse trailer, I just don't think they are as stable on the road.

Hippona

Visit site
Not a Disco 1 unless you like welding. A lot.

Not a Disco 2 for the same reason, only on these it's the chassis that rots instead of the body so even more dangerous.

No advice beyond that from me I'm afraid!

From: person who's sick and tired of spending every waking moment welding a sodding Disco 1.

I have up on Discos for the same reason... and bought a brand new Sorrento.
I absolutely love it....it's easier to hook up cos the tow bar is lower, with the seats flat I can get 6 bales in the back and its got 2 extra seats in the boot which fold totally flat.

dizzyneddy

Visit site
I'm another land rover fan - if money is no object then its a range rover if you're on a budget a defender. We've had discos but need so much maintanence. We didn't get an ifor williams as my horse hates dark spaces so we have a bayhill & its so light inside that she'll go in without too much difficulty

Chiffy

Visit site
Kia Sorento. My daughter has traveled miles with two large event horses. Recommended by 'Honest John' in the question and answer page of Motoring Telegragh.

pec

Visit site
Had a Daihatsu for years till it eventually died, then two disco 2s but my mechanic said there was nothing left to weld to and condemned each one after a couple of years. Bit the bullet 18 months ago and bought a SWB Shogun auto. Tows like a train, reliable (touch wood) and a nice vehicle to be in. Since I bought mine I have realised how many others I see on the road.

ROG

Visit site
Single trailers are perfectly safe

Need B+E licence to tow two horses in virtually every case I have come across

Check out the last link in my signature below

Bluedaisys

Visit site
I have ifor 401 and a nissan xtrail and love it!
Make sure you check the rear arches of xtrail as some we looked at were needing ALOT of welding!!
The trailer is as safe as any other IMO. One of mine travelled terribly In A double but in the single she's no trouble at all. :)

Wheels

Visit site
Absolutely nothing wrong or dangerous about a single trailer. In fact most now are a 1.5 rather than single, mare and foal trailers. Mine is only 12 inches narrower than the normal sized double trailers.

I love my bockmann, the only thing I'd change it for is a newer bockmann

Meandtheboys

Visit site
I have just bought a Kia Sorrento and absolutely love it, I have always had a Shogun in the past.
I also find its a massive fuel saving with the Kia when towing v Shogun

Ref IW 401 - I have towed all over the country and they are fantastic trailers, as another OP pointed out most are all 1 1/2 so bigger and more stable than traditional older single trailers.

Visit site
Personally I only tow twin axle trailers, there is nothing wrong with single axle but I find twin are more stabile on the road, I have three tow vehicles, Nissan terrano, Kia Sedona and a VW 109 Lt35 van, all good tow vehicles but when choosing your tow vehicle besides towing you have to also consider if it is to be your everyday car as well as your tow vehicle. People need to remember towing law was changed January 1997 and January 2013, so depending when you passed your car driving test you can fit into one of three periods, pre 1997, 1997-2013, 2013 to present day.

lottiepony

Visit site
Toyota Landcruiser Amazon automatic - fabulous! I will fess up though and say it's actually my mums (no way I could afford to buy one lol) it's great as a tow vehicle pulls my 510 fine with 2 in.

ROG

Visit site
People need to remember towing law was changed January 1997 and January 2013, so depending when you passed your car driving test you can fit into one of three periods, pre 1997, 1997-2013, 2013 to present day.
The licence laws in regards to B and B+E licences are exactly the same no matter when the test was passed but those with pre 1997 car test passes got the B+E for free

Visit site
The licence laws in regards to B and B+E licences are exactly the same no matter when the test was passed but those with pre 1997 car test passes got the B+E for free

You are giving people wrong advise, pre 1997 have grandfather rights and can drive a combination not exceeding 8250kgs, 1997 to 2013, total of actual combined weight as if being put on a weigh bridge without B+E is 3500kgs, with B+E 7250kgs, 2013 onwards its the total of the tow vehicle gross plate weight plus the trailer gross plate weight added together must not exceed 3500kgs even if the trailer is unloaded without B+E, with B+E it is still 7250kgs actual combined weight.

acorn92x

Visit site
My Dad has a Volvo XC70. The towing capacity is not massive at 2100KG but it easily carries our Ifor Williams trailer (Not sure what model is though it's fairly new, about 3 years old now) but that can easily carry 500KGish horses in it without bother. It's pretty economical with fuel too from what my Dad says. I love it!

Annagain

Visit site
I've towed with many different cars over the years and would choose a Defender every time. I prefer the 90 as the turning circle and manoeuvrability is a bit better but a 110 is also good if you need the extra seats / space. Nothing else feels as capable or as stable in my opinion. I hated going over 50 in any of the other cars I towed with, will happily pootle along at 60 in the Defender (on the motorway of course). It's also brilliant off road and the low range makes it really easy to control speed if you need to go down a steep hill or across a muddy field slowly. I have a rutted, potholey steep lane to go down to leave my yard and never have to sit on the brakes. It also has plenty of grunt to go up the same hill slowly - in fact in low range I don't even have to use the accelerator it just trundles up the hill and over the potholes really slowly so the horses get as smooth a ride as possible.

They're not ther most comfy for everyday but the newer models are much better and even have heating that actually warms up. I only do 4 miles to work and 2 to the farm on a regular basis so not an issue for me. The only problem is they're really holding their value due to production ending this year.

popsdosh

Visit site
We farm and tow a lot the only vehicles we have had stability issues with were Defenders the 90s wheelbase is so short that a lot is lost there .we use discovery ,RR and nissan navara and they are all fine

ROG

Visit site
You are giving people wrong advise, pre 1997 have grandfather rights and can drive a combination not exceeding 8250kgs, 1997 to 2013, total of actual combined weight as if being put on a weigh bridge without B+E is 3500kgs, with B+E 7250kgs, 2013 onwards its the total of the tow vehicle gross plate weight plus the trailer gross plate weight added together must not exceed 3500kgs even if the trailer is unloaded without B+E, with B+E it is still 7250kgs actual combined weight.

OH BOY - another who has got confused with what they have read online and believe it as law !!

Cannot blame you as that is the only easy source

An apology would be nice when you realise that I am legally correct and do give the correct advice as I have done so on this and many other sites for over the past few years with others who also have the correct legal knowledge reading my posts

The laws regarding licencing have always gone on plated weights and never actual weights

To take this discussion further I suggest we take it to the TOWING CLINIC THREAD - link below in my signature

Last edited: