best car

Claireg9

Visit site
Im thinking of trading my car in for either a 4x4 or an estate.

What is best?

Prefferably it will be able to tow my 800 (KG i think) trailer, but not a must as i can borrow my mums Mitsi, but it needs to be as economical as possible. Diesel would be good.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Claire x

Marilyn

Visit site
My husband has got a hi lux and I towed a trailer (not horse)to doncaster (from worcester) at the weekend and it was amazing...we used to have a discovery but since driving this...I know hich one i'd rather, teh weight didn't really seem to influence it at all and it wasn't too thirtsy, it's a 2.4 diesel

Rambo

Visit site
Only the biggest estate cars (big Volvo's and the like) will have anything like enough towing capacity to pull a trailer and anything more than a small pony
crazy.gif
Even they'll be right up to their limit though. If you want to tow a 4x4 is your only real choice. A good estate car will be a nicer drive though, and should be more economical to run...

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
good 4x4's
land rover disco, honda cr-v and toyota rav 4

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather different towing capacities though
tongue.gif
The Honda and Toyota would have little more capacity than a large estate imo...

Malibu

Visit site
well we have had a toyota and the best was the cr-v which is great 4x4, we live high up in scotland awasy snowed in and its a gem in the snow, at events when bogged in and travelled to somerset and back with 15 hh horse and to chester and bak with 16 hh horse so it cna be done, although we are changing car just as we need a bigger one!

Rambo

Visit site
I wasn't questionning the quality of either the Toyota or the Honda (in fact I would imagine they wipe the floor with a Land Rover in terms of build quality and reliability
shocked.gif
), but merely pointing out that one is a full up 3.5t tower, and the others are nearer the 2 to 2.5t mark. If you wanted to tow a 510 with two 16.2's in it, you probably couldn't with the smaller 4x4's
smile.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
Mmmm these were my thoughts, might be better to get a volvo estate than a CRV but still have the tow power and economical driving. My trailer by the way is half the weight of a I for 510 as made form ali, and i only normally take one 14.2, if i took two horses like i said id probably take my mums Mitsi to two it!

Rambo

Visit site
Hmmmm...just checked the max towing weight of the Honda CR-V 2.0i...it's only 1500kgs
shocked.gif
Would just about be within you limit for an 800kgs trailer plus pony and 'stuff' such as tack, passengers etc (say 600kgs).

An Ifor 510 only weighs 1000kgs btw
grin.gif

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
I've looked into this and totally agree with Rambo. An IW 505 weighs about 900kg, 16hh horse about 500-550kg and the kerb weight of a CRV is 1500kg. without taking into account any other kit, the trailer will want to push the car around. You may scrape the legal side, but a heavy trailer needs a heavy car.

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
if you are born after a certain date you cannot tow
so check with dlva
towing laws -- now its the kerb weight thats inmportant
a rava 4 cannot tow a horsebox and a horse

the average weight of a box is 750 that plus the horse is overweight for some 4x4.s
disco, landrover, perjero, mitzbushi, patrol, all ok

go onto the dvla site for towing regulartions if you 22yrs say you have to past a test for towing now

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
whoops brain dead its is 900kg as rambo said--
a horse of 15 16 can weight 600kg

also some car dealers think you are talking a box trialer they dont understand you mean horseboxx trialer as most people say box --as in i want to tow my box-- so they auto matically think box trailer a box trailer a car can pull as its 4ft by 4ft -- weights nothing its what people use to put camping equinpent in or rubbish to the dump--- crv can pull those

so please express a horsebox trialer to carry horses of 16hh or more weight 600 700 kg plus the weight of the box