Best choice of pulling vehicle?

SCMSL

Visit site
Looking for people's insights on what vehicle I should buy to pull a 506 ifor williams (or similar).

I will probably be changing cars soon and would rather something that could pull my friends box. She has an Ifor williams 506 that I would be using for emergencies and nearby competition outings. Looking for something safe but also as economic as possible, as I would be using it as my everyday car as well and would prefer not to spend all my income on gas!

Any help is highly appreciated ;)

crystalclear

Visit site
I can tell you not to get a Land Rover Discovery. Although the tow well they are so unreliable and have numerous faults and bits that go wrong and break Dow with you whilst towing. Mines been in the garage every year! So getting a new one and the main ones I've been considering are:

- Land Rover Defender
- Mitsubishi L200

Both older style due to funds.

FreyaB

Visit site
-VW Touareg V8
-Mitshibishi Shogun
Both are diesels, very, very reliable and the Touareg has a special system to help with attaching trailer to tow bar!

mon

Visit site
X trail just sold it and do miss it, it was great got a Jeep and not a patch on It just that it legally can tow more.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Why don't you go onto the Towing Clinic pages in competition forum? ROG has a link with all the best combos.

Last edited:

jenni999

Visit site
Toyota Land Cruiser. There's a reason why the deserts and the Australian outback are full of them and not any other 4x4. I have a 1996 SWB and it's the best towing vehicle I've had. Agree with other people, don't go near anything with LAND ROVER on the bonnet unless you have very deep pockets for the repairs.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I love my land rover defender 90 it's a great towing vehicle I bought it new thirteen years ago it's never broken down in thirteen years it's a star.
However it's not very comfy for long drives I have a automatic petrol range rover those which is great towing vehicle for long motorway type journeys with a trailer.
Defenders are great but a bit agricultural if you need to use them all the time as your main car.

braindead

Visit site
Love my Toyota Land Cruiser. Very comfy, Pulls like a train, but I have the V8 petrol so very thirsty. We were recommended the Toyota by our friend who deals with Range Rovers. He told us to steer clear of Range Rovers. Not the advice you expect from a Range Rover dealer!

ROG

Visit site
Looking for people's insights on what vehicle I should buy to pull a 506 ifor williams (or similar).

I will probably be changing cars soon and would rather something that could pull my friends box. She has an Ifor williams 506 that I would be using for emergencies and nearby competition outings. Looking for something safe but also as economic as possible, as I would be using it as my everyday car as well and would prefer not to spend all my income on gas!

Any help is highly appreciated ;)
If for towing on solid surfaces only then many standard saloons will be ok but if for all types of surfaces then a 4x4 is really the only viable option in which case that will be a big trade off with economy

Why don't you go onto the Towing Clinic pages in competition forum? ROG has a link with all the best combos.
Its the last link in my signature below :D

SCMSL

Visit site
I've been through the threads you mentioned but I'm not really interested in weights as much as in what cars would cost to run on a daily basis and comfort/safety for the horse - I know horses travel best when certain cars are pulling, even though others may be allowed as well.

I actually hadn't thought of the Tuareg but mare a quick search and found a few second hand which look promising! But of course, if there is anything even cheaper to run, that would be even better.

I will be driving solely on road, so no concerns there. Oh, I'm also in Portugal so no snow or anything, just the *occasional* heavy pouring - the sun is actually shining right now :D

FreyaB

Visit site
I've been through the threads you mentioned but I'm not really interested in weights as much as in what cars would cost to run on a daily basis and comfort/safety for the horse - I know horses travel best when certain cars are pulling, even though others may be allowed as well.

I actually hadn't thought of the Tuareg but mare a quick search and found a few second hand which look promising! But of course, if there is anything even cheaper to run, that would be even better.

I will be driving solely on road, so no concerns there. Oh, I'm also in Portugal so no snow or anything, just the *occasional* heavy pouring - the sun is actually shining right now :D

It's a really great car, never broken down or anything! :)

showaddy1

Visit site
I love my terrano... May possibly be the only person in existence who does! My horses have never complained when I've towed them with it..:)

Tillypup

www.valleypoint.co.uk
I can tell you not to get a Land Rover Discovery. Although the tow well they are so unreliable and have numerous faults and bits that go wrong and break Dow with you whilst towing. Mines been in the garage every year! So getting a new one and the main ones I've been considering are:

- Land Rover Defender
- Mitsubishi L200

Both older style due to funds.

My hubby replaced his Disco for a 55reg (older shape) L200 a couple of months ago. We love it, I can't believe how well it handles on the road for such a big vehicle. Husband misses having the 7 seats of the Disco (only used rarely though) but the pick up bit (with a cover on) is so much more practical! I towed for the first time on Friday, ifor trailer (not sure on the model) and two 16hh-ish TB's. could hardly even feel that we were towing anything!!!

crystalclear

Visit site
Oooo your helping me make my mind up :) what's their towing capacity the 2002 model double cab do you know or is yours something different? Love the look of the defenders but dubious as to reliability

rascal

Visit site
I love my Toyota hylux, reliable, tows well and can pass a petrol station. It is one of the older ones
I had a jeep, I would never touch another one! The rac man we were talking to says they are rubbish too.
Wouldn't have a discovery either after some of the things I have heard about them.

Tillypup

www.valleypoint.co.uk
Oooo your helping me make my mind up :) what's their towing capacity the 2002 model double cab do you know or is yours something different? Love the look of the defenders but dubious as to reliability

According to the towing clinic in the comp sect it has a towing capacity of at least 2700 kgs.

I like Defenders too, as does the husband, but the L200 is simply the perfect vehicle for us (and he admits that despite being a Land Rover nut!) there is plenty of room in the back seats, despite also having a "normal" car we do need the extra seats a lot. The pick up bit is great for the dogs, husband's boat crap, all kinds of toot without mucking up the cab. Parking it can be a mission and you don't buy it for its turning circle, but, everyone (literally) that I know that had had them would have them again! However, I do prefer the older shape, it looks a bit more workmanlike than the newer shape!

ecrozier

Visit site
I love my Defender - she is 14 years old now, a TD5 90 Hardtop. I'm so attached to her if anyone ever suggests selling her I think I would sell them first!

Celestica

Visit site
OP around 6 months ago there was a similar thread to this and everybody was raving about the KIA Sorento (i think?) it was a KIA anyway! So try find that thread and you can see how much they all loved it!

maletto

Visit site
We have an automatic Kia sorento (bought for towing after reading rave reviews on here!). it makes mean work of towing 2x600kg horses in a IW 510. and is pretty luxurious/comfortable inside - air con, heated seats, electric everything - and loads of boot space for tack etc. absolutely recommend!

SCMSL

Visit site
For those of you with Kia's (had checked it out too, actually even went for a test drive last year):

Do you use it for your everyday life?
Has it given you any headaches?
How much do you spend on fuel?