Best clippers?

honeymum

Bucks/Somerset depends really............
Visit site
I'm looking for some new (second hand) clippers. We had an ancient Wolsely which has long since died and that was ok. We only need to clip 2 horses a couple of times a year plus a full clip on a shag-pile Shetland. What can anyone recommend please? I'm currently looking at some Listers and Liveryman. Thanks.

L&M

Visit site
My favourite clippers were a set of Liberty Star clippers - lightweight, reasonably quiet, and easy to maintain.

I have also had Heinigers Handy and although they clipped well, were a ****** to change blades/re-set the tension and would just stop mid clip if anything was vaguely out of sync.

I currently have some Wolsley Harriers and do love these too, but are quite cumbersome and noisy so not ideal for a nervous horse.

HashRouge

Visit site
I like Liveryman clippers, we have 3 sets at work (SJ yard) as my boss has 1 set and his GF has 2. I've been clipping with my boss's pair for the last year and I like them, have done dozens of clips in that time and not had any problems.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
We love our Lister Star clippers, leave a really neat finish, and the blades are very sharp, and work on our Cushings pony, who has a very woolly coat.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I love my liveryman clippers but might sell them and get some cordless clippers for next winter, as I have a sensitive youngster, don't want him stamping on the wire

Tern

Visit site
We love our Lister Star clippers, leave a really neat finish, and the blades are very sharp, and work on our Cushings pony, who has a very woolly coat.

ditto this, bought some lister stars last year and did one full clip on a Welsh D - I think I can probably get one more out of them before they need re-sharpening but they were brill! :)

muckypony

Visit site
I have the lister stars and love them, had them for 3 years and clipped lots, all fine, but this winter they died :( the trip switch melted!!

Tern

Visit site
I have the lister stars and love them, had them for 3 years and clipped lots, all fine, but this winter they died :( the trip switch melted!!

You should be able to get this quite easily repaired at Lister directly.. however I would say to have melted they were too hot to be clipping! :)

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
I had a pair of Listers 20+ years ago that were brilliant. Purchased a new pair of Lister Stars 2 years ago and it was the biggest mistake ever. After 2 clips the blades became red hot within minutes and smoke came out the back. Sent off to Lister who in their defence gave the clippers a full complimentary service. Upon receiving them back and turning them on the same thing happened. Furious was an understatement. Lister said there was nothing wrong with them. I now have Heiniger Xperience and there is just one word to describe - BRILLIANT ! Never ever clipped with such a superior pair of clippers. The blades (imo) are not at all difficult to replace and the tension is easy to set.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Invested in heiniger xplorer cordless clipper on Black Friday sale, really pleased with them and love the fact they are cordless. used on aShetland with a huge coat ! and made a fab job

keepitugly

Visit site
I have the Heiniger Handy and they are much quieter than the other clippers I've used which I like. They are a bit of a pain to tension and I do have to sort the tension a lot when clipping as they do stop clipping but it's literally just a tiny twist and they're fine again. They're good to handle as well, I'm not disappointed with them.

lara b

Visit site
I had exactly the same experience but I ended up with the Heiniger Progress, love them!#

I had a pair of Listers 20+ years ago that were brilliant. Purchased a new pair of Lister Stars 2 years ago and it was the biggest mistake ever. After 2 clips the blades became red hot within minutes and smoke came out the back. Sent off to Lister who in their defence gave the clippers a full complimentary service. Upon receiving them back and turning them on the same thing happened. Furious was an understatement. Lister said there was nothing wrong with them. I now have Heiniger Xperience and there is just one word to describe - BRILLIANT ! Never ever clipped with such a superior pair of clippers. The blades (imo) are not at all difficult to replace and the tension is easy to set.

muckypony

Visit site
You should be able to get this quite easily repaired at Lister directly.. however I would say to have melted they were too hot to be clipping! :)

I would have thought the same, but I had done three strokes of a shoulder on a coat that had been clipped a few weeks prior! My brother has spent ages looking for a new trip switch, got it the other week and put it in, the same thing happened in seconds!

Tern

Visit site
I would have thought the same, but I had done three strokes of a shoulder on a coat that had been clipped a few weeks prior! My brother has spent ages looking for a new trip switch, got it the other week and put it in, the same thing happened in seconds!

I would be sending back to Lister i'm afraid! May be something up with something else in there?

muckypony

Visit site
I would be sending back to Lister i'm afraid! May be something up with something else in there?

They are well out of warranty so I doubt they will take any responsibility :( I just find it so odd as I used them for 3 years, one pony was clipped all year round too so they had good use until one day, enough was enough!