Best Competition mix/feed/supplement?

IWTO

Visit site
I'm looking for a well recommended feed...

Ive tried Saracen Enduro (not enough energy)
TopSpec Turbo (horse became very bloated and unhappy- possible intolerance)

Anyone used a well recommended one?

IWTO

Visit site
He is fairly fit, schooling, jumping and competitions weekly. He just struggles mainly with the weekend competitions (the 2/3 day ones) so I'm looking to change his feed to help accommodate this.

WelshD

Visit site
I'd be tempted to feed a normal high fibre diet but add oats

Its an old fashioned thing to do but personally its what i do when more energy and sparkle are needed

Granted I dont have competition horses though

IWTO

Visit site
Is topspec turbo oats the same as Tiger Oats?

I don't know if he has some type of intolerance to them OR maybe he just couldn't handle the starch in the turbo?

paddi22

Visit site
i love red mills horse care, its good for horses with dodgy stomachs. also rate baileys endurance mix. rest of mine are on oats, oat balancer and beetpulp

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
He's fine with normal one day competitions but struggles when they go on for longer?

Are you sure he is fit enough, that sounds like a stamina issue, not an immediate energy issue.

IWTO

Visit site
He's schooled (flat) twice a week (being made to work properly)
Has one day doing something 'fun' like galloping along the beach or a forestry hack.
Occasionally a fun ride or in winter drag hunting etc. I try and vary it.
One jump lesson a week and usually one comp a weekend, usually jump.

He's worked at least 5 out of 7 days.. I would hope he is fit enough to cope with the odd longer weekend comps, I usually drop the lesson on these weeks.

Unless I can improve it? I'm open to suggestions happily.

paddi22

Visit site
do you get a chance to do a lot of long slow hillwork. My lad only got fit when i moved to an area where i can access 4+ hour hacks up hills. he always used to run out of steam but seems to be have a better level of stamina now

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
He's schooled (flat) twice a week (being made to work properly)
Has one day doing something 'fun' like galloping along the beach or a forestry hack.
Occasionally a fun ride or in winter drag hunting etc. I try and vary it.
One jump lesson a week and usually one comp a weekend, usually jump.

He's worked at least 5 out of 7 days.. I would hope he is fit enough to cope with the odd longer weekend comps, I usually drop the lesson on these weeks.

Unless I can improve it? I'm open to suggestions happily.

Do the longer competitions entail being away from home? Could he be taking it out of himself mentally rather than physically? Or by not sleeping well in a strange environment?

I went to a Premier league dressage today and there were some very tired looking horses competing on the third day.

Shay

Visit site
Two possible thoughts....I have mainly eventers now - but have had BS competition ponies in the past.

It doesn't sound like you are doing enough stamina work. If you have enough time to do it I would suggest interval or stamina training.

But outside of that - I've used Propell, Redcell or Ener-G (different horses - different requirements) to support during multi day competitions. Its not a very good idea to change feed altogether during away competitions - with the stress as well you have an almost perfect recipe for colic. You can play with your proportions a bit. So a little more hard feed or more smaller feeds to try to increase calories. Perhaps changing forage from hay to haylage etc. also I've found it is really important to make sure they can sleep properly (Sounds like parenting a toddler!) But deep familiar beds, familiar water (or juice to make unfamiliar water taste the same...) really good attention to rugging, grazing in hand where you can etc can all help.

Only about 30% of horses respond to oats at all. Certainly more of mine have been oat insensitive than those who responded. Having got a cereal sensitive (and not in a good way!) one a few years back I tend to use oil or micronised linseed as energy support rather than oats. But the core of it is really good fitness work.

IWTO

Visit site
I didn't really consider stamina, really interesting comments.

We have one hill (more of a slope really!)
But I can take him to the gallops once a week would that help? I actually started him on propel plus a few days ago but have booked a blood test also with the vet incase.

yes the ones that are over a few days are away shows, he lies down at night in these stables but I cannot account for how much actual rest or sleep he is allowing himself, he isn't an outwardly stress horse so he may hide this well?

nikkimariet

Visit site
Stamina and endurance come from work. Hill work and interval training. Just sounds like he is not fit enough.

Something like red cell may help pep him up a little but it will be fast used energy if the fitness isn't there. Travelling and stabling away from
Home takes more out of them than we think.

I've only ever used plain oats for condition. Tiger oats might give him a little perk. Feeds with maize and or high protein levels will give some spark.

Last edited:

Toffee44

Visit site
Hand up-- I have been feeding simple systems grass pellets.

Using half and half red and blue pellets. Agree fitness plays a big part.

She gets a small half scoop of this. And a large handful of straw based chaff and pink powder. Thats twice a day. She is a good doer.

I know its not PC but I am loving her enthusiasm right now. Shes not got silly on it or gained weight.

nfpony

Visit site
Allen and Page Power and Performance has worked wonders for my horse, gives him a lot of stamina and slow release energy without the added sharp/spookiness

Visit site
Personal opinion having ridden for a top showjumper in Germany for 4 years, what your feeding sounds ok, I will be inclined to agree with others on this that there is not enough stamina work in there.

Hacking is the best way to get them fit, hill work and interval training. Just a little idea (please don't think im being patronizing) this is a little idea of the regime ours used to be on and I still keep to this for my little poppet and she is only competed once a month at high level.

Start your hill work in walk only - old trick that walking is harder for them up hill etc.
Interval training depending on his fitness, you can interval train in a school but its better if its out in a field or a hack as this gets fitness better on the uneven grounds
To get his stamina up you have to start slow and build up, so half hour hack twice a week then next week 45mins hack for example. Obviously incorporate your regular routine along with this.

If after you've built him up stamina wise and still no different then change the feeding.

Inside info here, these top SJ's you see aren't all on whizzed up feed. We used to feed a chaff and standard nuts or mix depending on what each horse preferred with sugar beet in winter, added supplements and the poorer ones were on a balancer and these were horses competing at Grand Prix level and Olympic horses.

Feed should always be the last thing to fiddle with in my opinion!