Best cordless clippers?

Cowpony

Visit site
I'm getting some clippers for Christmas and need some advice on the best ones to get. I'm looking at Heiniger Xplorer and they seem to have good reviews. Has anybody got some, or can you recommend any others I should look at?

I only need to clip one 14.2 pony. She has a thick but fairly fine coat, but produces a lot of grease, so I need something that will cope with that.

We do have an electricity supply at the yard, so could get plug in clippers if they are the best, but I like the lack of faffing around with cables and circuit breakers you get with cordless.

Any views/experiences gratefully received.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
LOVE my £200 Masterclip full size clippers, with two blade sets and two batteries. I wish I'd bought them ages ago, it's so great not to have to find a power point or have a cord getting in the way. Sold on ebay.

Bertolie

Visit site
LOVE my £200 Masterclip full size clippers, with two blade sets and two batteries. I wish I'd bought them ages ago, it's so great not to have to find a power point or have a cord getting in the way. Sold on ebay.

Are these the Masterclip Roamers? I have these and absolutely love them (as do several others on my yard who have used them!). Highly recommend them :)

cg91

Visit site
I LOVE my masterclip v-series. I got the cord ones but they come cordless and are not nearly as loud as usual clippers.

Llee94

Visit site
Do keep in mind that you need to buy a well known brand of clippers in order to get them serviced or repaired easily. I have a set of sure clip clippers which I got years ago which are good but I can't get them serviced or repaired anywhere as they are Chinese and the spares just aren't available. I now work for a well known clipper retailer/servicer and they have advised that some of the lesser know brands made abroad aren't even safety tested.
However, I have heard good reviews about the Masterclip clippers but I don't know how easy it would be to repair them. I know we wouldn't be able to as the spares are just not available.
The xplorer is a really good clipper that is very quiet. Tensioning can be a little tricky to get at first but once you know what it needs to be it is easy. The batteries tend to last for about 1.5 hours each and take about 2 hours to charge so again that is something to think about if you aren't the speediest at clipping.
Another good portable clipper is the Lister Liberty. It has several power options including a battery, mains or running off a vehicle battery. I have clipped all sorts with them and they have managed really well. The battery lasts around 3 hours so you have less pressure to clip fast but it does take longer to charge.

Bertolie

Visit site
Do keep in mind that you need to buy a well known brand of clippers in order to get them serviced or repaired easily. I have a set of sure clip clippers which I got years ago which are good but I can't get them serviced or repaired anywhere as they are Chinese and the spares just aren't available. I now work for a well known clipper retailer/servicer and they have advised that some of the lesser know brands made abroad aren't even safety tested.
However, I have heard good reviews about the Masterclip clippers but I don't know how easy it would be to repair them. I know we wouldn't be able to as the spares are just not available.
The xplorer is a really good clipper that is very quiet. Tensioning can be a little tricky to get at first but once you know what it needs to be it is easy. The batteries tend to last for about 1.5 hours each and take about 2 hours to charge so again that is something to think about if you aren't the speediest at clipping.
Another good portable clipper is the Lister Liberty. It has several power options including a battery, mains or running off a vehicle battery. I have clipped all sorts with them and they have managed really well. The battery lasts around 3 hours so you have less pressure to clip fast but it does take longer to charge.

You can send the Masterclip clippers off to them to be serviced, and blades are readily available.

The Roamers came with 2 battery packs but my daughter did a full clip of a hairy 14.2, a neck and belly clip on a not quite so hairy 14.3, and half of a full clip on an extremely hairy 9 hh Shetland all one on battery pack!

ycbm

Visit site
Same here. I did two 15.3 halves, one 25 inch sheep (well, it comes off like fleece it's that thick!) and a 16.2 half on one battery, but it comes with two anyway, so I had another already charged if I'd needed it. I keep one on permanent charge on a timer (my OH says it can be dangerous to charge full time).

As bertolie says, great clippers!

Last edited:

Llee94

Visit site
You can send the Masterclip clippers off to them to be serviced, and blades are readily available.

The Roamers came with 2 battery packs but my daughter did a full clip of a hairy 14.2, a neck and belly clip on a not quite so hairy 14.3, and half of a full clip on an extremely hairy 9 hh Shetland all one on battery pack!

I stand corrected! Just looking at their website now and see they do all their own servicing and repairs. It would limit you to only being able to use them but thats not necessarily a bad thing!

ycbm

Visit site
I wouldn't call them quiet, probably about the same as my mains big Lister clippers used to be.

Llee94

Visit site
How loud are they? I've just sold my mains clippers and want some battery ones to replace but looking for quiet as pony is very nervous.

Maybe have a look at the Harmony plus if you need something really quiet. It comes with a battery built in to the clipper that lasts ages, plus a battery pack and they can be run off the mains as well. I borrowed a friends to clip my horse after my sure clips gave up half way through. They powered through the coat and did a full clip on a 15.3hh cob x in no time.
I notice that master clip do something very similar but can't comment on that one as never used them, but judging from the response from everyone else they might be worth a look.

Iwantakitten

Visit site
Maybe have a look at the Harmony plus if you need something really quiet. It comes with a battery built in to the clipper that lasts ages, plus a battery pack and they can be run off the mains as well. I borrowed a friends to clip my horse after my sure clips gave up half way through. They powered through the coat and did a full clip on a 15.3hh cob x in no time.
I notice that master clip do something very similar but can't comment on that one as never used them, but judging from the response from everyone else they might be worth a look.

Thank you :) I had had a look at those but worried they won't go through the coat, how do you tell if your horse has a fine/medium/thick coat, he's looking rather shiny and sleek at the moment but would worry on spending out and they won't cut the mustard so to speak!

ETA I'm only looking to take off the belly and bottom of his neck as these are the only places he sweats when working at the moment.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
the xplorers are amazing, i would highly recommend them!

My horse had to be sedated to clip so i bought these and it took only 3 days of 10 minute sessions to get to be able to clip him without sedation.
They are quiet for the power they have and the batteries last really well.
Importantly they are also very well designed and sit well in your hand, dont vibrate too much and are easy to manouver around awkward places.

Llee94

Visit site
Medium blades will do the job for most horses. Most people do the first clip with mediums and then some choose to continue the upkeep with a set of fines. Fines are mostly used on TB type coats. Coarse blades are only really needed for horses with cushings or super thick coats. My mum's new forest is like a yak in the winter so he would need a coarse set to get through them for the first clip but then I could maintain him with a set of mediums.
One word of warning though - if you have a 'white' grey horse, don't use fine blades as they often end up looking pink!

Cowpony

Visit site
Thanks all, that's definitely given me some options. And thanks for the tip on blades Llee94, mine is a mainly white coloured and can look pink for a week or so after clipping.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I've just bought some liveryman harmony plus' and after reading a few bad reviews, I was pleasently surprised how good they were when I clipped my youngster for the first time, last saturday! He is a connie x tb, so very fluffy and they made light work of his coat! and he was as good as good as they were so quiet!! I've always used mains clippers so really expected these to be a bit more of a challenge but they were just as easy and light weight too!

ps. I used the fine blades! The clippers were £194 from Robinsons, which is the cheapest I've found them, with the battery pack

Stockers

Visit site
I have the Liveryman Harmony clippers and love them. I do either a bib or trace clip each year on my 16.3hh chunky monkey and they cope really well - he has a thick coat. I have bad hands and are nice and small enough for me to hold without causing problems.

Bertolie

Visit site
I borrowed some Liveryman Harmony clippers before buying my Master ones and they struggled to clip my 14.2. Had to give up half way through and borrow some Lister clippers to finish the job! The lady I borrowed them off then borrowed mine as hers wouldn't hog her mare and is now looking to buy some Masterclip ones.

ETA The Liveryman clippers are only light/medium duty clippers whereas the Masterclip Roamers are heavy duty. Also, the 14.2 is very nervous being clipped and I did worry that the Roamers might be a bit louder that he would like but he was absolute fine with them!

Last edited:

m1stify

Visit site
Did my 1st clip with heiniger explorers today great result even for a first timer! Easy to use, light and quiet. Horse put up with them for 2 hours cos yes I was that slow!!