Best dandy brush for hairy cob

Suby2

Visit site
I own a hairy cob with a dense coat who lives out 24/7 unrugged.

i have tried a standard natural bristles dandy brush but it just seems to skim over the surface. I also have a longer bristled nylon brush which is better but I was wondering if anyone had found a brush that they found particularly good for this type of coat?

Annagain

Visit site
I use Hands on grooming gloves on my retired boy who's out naked. They loosen the mud and I then go over him with a normal bog standard dandy brush (it's at least 30 years old with bright blue plastic bristles) to remove it. It's the best way for getting him clean if I need to, which isn't that often so when I do there's a lot to get off!

Suby2

Visit site
I find a magic brush to he the quickest mud remover.

I don’t think I made myself very clear ?.

I do use a magic brush to remove the mud but it doesn’t really penetrate his coat. I am looking for something to try and make him look more respectable once the mud has gone.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Magic brush or a metal scraper as shown above really work well for getting mud off, so do the large metal pan scourer things I use them and find horses prefer them to a rough brush.

FFAQ

Visit site
I use a shedding blade to get the worst off (sometimes I think a hammer and chisel would be more effective), then a rubber curry comb, then the magic brush. But, mine do look like they roll in cement!

AFB

Visit site
I have 3 Haas brushes and if I use them properly in the right order they do a cracking job - I have the military which I think is the 'best' one for general cleaning, then another that seems to pull the grease out of the coat and another to shine up afterwards, I can't remember the names off the top of my head though

Widgeon

Visit site
I use a comination of the above - one of those cheap plastic magic brushes, a pair of knock-off Hands On grooming gloves, then a Haas Schimmel to tidy up.

Suby2

Visit site
If he lives out unrugged, are you sure you want to be lifting the grease & oil from his coat at this time of year? It'll be helping to keep him warm & waterproof.

I’m not looking to over groom. Just to get him looking a bit smarter when he is hacked out a maximum of three times a week.