Best diet for Rottie with protein losing enteropathy?

catembi

Visit site
Poor Roxy has been diagnosed with PLE & the vets have advised Royal Canin Gastro. She is supposed to eat as much as possible, particularly high protein/low fat as he body can't use protein properly. She isn't desperately keen on the Royal Canin. Is there anything else I could try? She really needs to have snacks throughout the day...what could I give her? In herself, she is v bright & lively, & her appetite is actually quite good, but she is very thin.

catembi

Visit site
Oh yes, that would be low fat, high protein. I will have a look for some. I have always been veggie so have pretty much zero idea re meat. I hope I can find something ready-cooked. I am quite conflicted over the whole thing, but the dog probably doesn't have long, so it won't be forever. :-(

GSD Woman

Visit site
Sorry about your poor Rottie. Does the veterinarian have any other diets to recommend? Maybe something from Hill's or Purina?

Meredith Brouillette

Visit site
Pour Pooch :( I think gastro with a high hydrolyzed protein is the best feed for her. Just make sure you feed her throughout a day. Does she have nasty diarrhea as well?

catembi

Visit site
Yes, she does have nasty diarrhoea :confused: She does the odd almost normal poo, plus everything in between. In herself, she is v chirpy, up for anything & if you couldn't see how desperately thin she is, you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with her. She goes on a little walk every day (not too far) & she trots along merrily, smelling things & looking for mischief. Atm she is on the Purina gastro dry food & tins (as suggested above), plus cooked chicken. 3 meals a day plus snacks. Steroids night & morning. I know from Catembi the horse that this won't end well, but while she is eating & bright, we are going to battle on. She gets so excited for meals & walks that she actually howls.