Best dog bed for minimising doggy smell...?

catembi

Visit site
I now have 3 Rottweilers and need advice on minimising the doggy smell in the kitchen.

Current beds are made from similar fabric to turnout rugs, theoretically waterproof & scrubbable, but fur & dirt does stick to them. There is a pad inside & the outside is washable, but 1) they are a bit big (Rottie-sized) for even my 8kg washing machine and 2) I don't really want them in my lovely clean new machine...!

What's the best thing to do? Are there any non-porous vinyl- style beds that I could simply wipe down regularly? I'm planning on getting the doggies bathed on a regular basis so that they themselves smell less. I am not sure about washable beds as I don't want them in the machine.

All suggestions appreciated.

T x

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I either use a waterproof Tuffies with vet bed/thermatex pads (washed regularly in machine in a wash bag in non-bio) or have memory foam cut offs with waterproof covers (can't remember the make but can look them up-they are pretty good) with the same on top. I dont have three rotties though so they aren't challenged quite that much :)

RunToEarth

Visit site
We have Coolaroo dog beds - I tend to let them get on them wet and dirty, most of the dry dirt then crops through and when they are dry I stick vet bedding on top, sweep up underneath them. They are actually fairly comfy without the vet bedding on and they are so practical. You can wash the fabric but I usually just hand scrub with a wet sponge every few days.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I now have 3 Rottweilers and need advice on minimising the doggy smell in the kitchen.

Current beds are made from similar fabric to turnout rugs, theoretically waterproof & scrubbable, but fur & dirt does stick to them. There is a pad inside & the outside is washable, but 1) they are a bit big (Rottie-sized) for even my 8kg washing machine and 2) I don't really want them in my lovely clean new machine...!

What's the best thing to do? Are there any non-porous vinyl- style beds that I could simply wipe down regularly? I'm planning on getting the doggies bathed on a regular basis so that they themselves smell less. I am not sure about washable beds as I don't want them in the machine.

All suggestions appreciated.

T x

I think that we have similar beds. I find they absorb a bit of damp/sweat from the dogs and that's when you get smells. So if it's nice weather I pull the pads out and put them in the sun to air/dry regularly. In winter I lean them on a radiator for half an hour. I also put one or two fleece blankets on top of the pads and wash them regularly (even hanging them on the line on a windy day makes them smell nice again even when I've not washed them). I Hoover the beds regularly too.