Best feed to feed for weight gain without fizz! !

kellie1189

Visit site
Hi guys just looking for some help. Bought a new horse 4 months ago who struggles to keep weight on. previous owner had him on allan and page weight gain which really worked but made him unmanageable after a while. I have put him on the allan and page calm and condition which has taken the edge off him but he doesn't seem to be putting any weight on. He can't have haylage as it goes straight through him so is just on adlib hay which is good quality and two feeds a day. Can anyone recommend a feed to put weight on but without the fizz as he can become quite difficult to ride and handle on anything that's too heating. Thank you

Tern

Visit site
How much work is he in and what ratio of forage to hard feed is he currently getting?

How long in the field?
How many feeds a day?

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
All of the above, apart from Outshine which is full of rubbish. Micronised linseed, pure feeds and Havens slobber mash.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Another advocate of havens slobbermash - amazing feed... But just watch out there is another slobbermash on the market which is nothing like havens ...

kellie1189

Visit site
Thank you everyone I will look into the slobber mash. Do you guys who feed slobber mash feed anything else or is it just feed on its own.

leflynn

Visit site
Oats and micronised linseed get my vote (TB hard to put and keep weight on and goes bananas at anything starchy/sugary), fed with alpha a oil and yea sacc for digestion. also get teeth checked if you haven't already :)

BlackRider

Visit site
Have his teeth been checked?

Simple systems grass pellets and top nosh - far far lower in starch and sugar then slobber mash which is eye wateringly high, at 44.2%.

shemp

Visit site
Dengies alfa-a oil and baileys number 4 conditioning cubes

My tb gelding was the same, mental on calm and condition but nothing else was keeping the weight on him. This stuff is ace tho! He looked better than he ever had in about 2 weeks, reasonably priced, no affect on his behaviour what so ever

chrissy2014

Visit site
A lot of horses cannot handle Alfalfa but if yours can mine dont wonderfully on Dengie Alfalfa mollass free and baileys topline. She came to me very under weight and by spring taking her rug off she looked amazing.

Rhandir

Visit site
Another vote for Baily's top line (number4) Everything else was rocket fuel for my youngster .. she has put weight on and now keeps all her feet on the ground.

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
Thank you everyone I will look into the slobber mash. Do you guys who feed slobber mash feed anything else or is it just feed on its own.
I previously used baileys conditioning cubes (number 4)so mixed for a few days and then just slobber mash. The baileys hadnt helped in 6 weeks and I felt I couldn't up the amount as too risky for the pony (he was having the amount for a pony in hard work and was in light work) The slobbermash worked within 2 weeks though top line still needed working on. Vet advised oil as well but last owned hadn't found that helped in previous winters