Best field safe head collar

Lplates

Visit site
I am going to temporarily leave a head collar on my hard to catch pony (meanwhile trying other methods) - some people recommend thin leather, others the field safe ones. Any opinions? And if field safe, then which make? Thanks

WelshD

Visit site
I have the Aerborn rubber ring heaccollar, its three years old and still going strong, ts soft and doesn't rub

its a small pain as if a rubber ring breaks you thread the new ring through and use a drop of superglue to complete the ring, a bit of a faff but very easy

kez81

Visit site
I use Horseware Field safe as it has three break away velcro points in case of emergency. They arent the cheapest but when my big fella arrived, he was feral so it helped to have something i could take apart in stages or leave on if needed. Had it a few years now and still as good as new.

lelly

Visit site
I have cottage craft with the Velcro bits. I don't leave head collars on but felt it's safer to have one if needed. They do come apart but won't come apart too easy.

Enfys

Visit site
String :D If you want one immediately.

A piece of ordinary butcher string or similar fastened to the buckle of the cheekpiece, thread it through the eye of the headpiece.
It is strong enough to hold the headcollar on but WILL break in an emergency.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Cottage craft or horse ware are good...we leave one on sash and, it's only come off once in three years, we found it in the hedge, they had been grazing in hedges!!!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site

A piece of ordinary butcher string or similar fastened to the buckle of the cheekpiece, thread it through the eye of the headpiece.

Yup, that'll do :)

Palindrome

Visit site
aerborn/robinsons one are really good (I put little plastic cable ties instead of the rubber rings when they break, easy to put on and they'll break if needed). Horseware was really poor quality (metal buckle broke after 2-3 month of very light use, it was during winter so I didn't leave it on horse and one morning while removing it it broke off, I think from the temperature change from cold on the gate to warm on the horse) and anything with metal buckles rubs my horse's head, including the Horseware one which is not very soft.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I use Horseware Field safe as it has three break away velcro points in case of emergency. They arent the cheapest but when my big fella arrived, he was feral so it helped to have something i could take apart in stages or leave on if needed. Had it a few years now and still as good as new.

Another vote for Horseware. They come with a choice of breaking strain, too.

Auslander

Visit site

I do the same, but with a cable tie.

flaxen

Visit site
I have the Aerborn rubber ring heaccollar, its three years old and still going strong, ts soft and doesn't rub

its a small pain as if a rubber ring breaks you thread the new ring through and use a drop of superglue to complete the ring, a bit of a faff but very easy

These are out of manufacture at the moment and no one can get them which is a shame as Im after a cob one incase I need anyone else to catch new pony.