Best first horse?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Oh dear! I'm a bit confused. Must be my age or summat.

OK so the OP lives in the South of France, yes??

So where does OP's daughter live?? In France also???

If answers to both the above are "yes" then that puts the whole question into a different perspective; as the advice which one could give to someone living here in the UK, as opposed to someone living in the South of France, is going to be (obviously!) very different.

I don't know anything about what sort of horses are sourceable and/or prolific in the South of France; or failing that, the inherent difficulties in sourcing a horse/pony from the UK.

IF the OP was living here in the UK, then one would recommend that she place her (and daughter) into the hands of a reputable dealer - if such a thing exists - but if we are talking about someone living in the South of France that puts a whole new picture in the frame does it not!!

Sorry OP, (presuming you and daughter are BOTH in the South of France), wish I could help with this one, but cannot! But good luck anyway.

SuziMare

Visit site
Oh dear! I'm a bit confused. Must be my age or summat.

OK so the OP lives in the South of France, yes??

So where does OP's daughter live?? In France also???

If answers to both the above are "yes" then that puts the whole question into a different perspective; as the advice which one could give to someone living here in the UK, as opposed to someone living in the South of France, is going to be (obviously!) very different.

I don't know anything about what sort of horses are sourceable and/or prolific in the South of France; or failing that, the inherent difficulties in sourcing a horse/pony from the UK.

IF the OP was living here in the UK, then one would recommend that she place her (and daughter) into the hands of a reputable dealer - if such a thing exists - but if we are talking about someone living in the South of France that puts a whole new picture in the frame does it not!!

Sorry OP, (presuming you and daughter are BOTH in the South of France), wish I could help with this one, but cannot! But good luck anyway.

Sorry for being so confusing! As you can tell, I myself am unsure of what I am doing here! One minute being told I'm someone else, and another messing up my replies! Its all a learning curve nevertheless.

My daughter does live with me in France, however, we would be willing to import if she falls inlove with a Horse (only after viewing and vetting mind you). We are just looking for a general (and probably vague) suggestion of first horses.

You mention dealers in the UK which is likely an option for us, are there things to be wary of when going to a dealer? What sort of advice would you be able to give?

Thank you for your help. I appreciate its hard when we are in France but advice is advice nonetheless!

onlytheponely

Visit site
If your daughter wants to compete in any discipline it is much easier with a horse on full papers rather than ONC. Honestly, by the time you've paid to import one, paid for the compulsory veterinary check before travelling, paid to have a vet here re-do the silhouette and chip verification on the passport, paid to get the passport over-stamped and registered with the breed society or the Haras Nationaux you will be seriously out of pocket to the tune of about 1500 euros minimum. I'd find one in France because you don't seem to be looking for a specific rare breed or blood line.

oldie48

Visit site
Sorry but I have no idea what standard Galop 5 is so difficult to recommend something, it also depends on what height and weight you daughter is and how much support you have around you and if you are willing and able to have the money available to help your daughter progress. However, if you go for temperament as the most important thing, you won't go far wrong. You want something forgiving and not too buzzy but I would avoid a lazy plod like the plague if your daughter wants to progress. Buy as local as you can and get yourdaughter's instructor to go along and assess them as a combination and try more than once in a variety of situations before you commit.

SuziMare

Visit site
Sorry but I have no idea what standard Galop 5 is so difficult to recommend something, it also depends on what height and weight you daughter is and how much support you have around you and if you are willing and able to have the money available to help your daughter progress. However, if you go for temperament as the most important thing, you won't go far wrong. You want something forgiving and not too buzzy but I would avoid a lazy plod like the plague if your daughter wants to progress. Buy as local as you can and get yourdaughter's instructor to go along and assess them as a combination and try more than once in a variety of situations before you commit.

Sorry, I know this is all getting rather confusing! Galop 5 I have read as being close to BHS stage 2, I am not sure so perhaps onlytheponely could confirm this. The riders sit a written and ridden test detailing things such as horse care in conjunction with riding. 5th Galop is starting to be able to ride a secure rhythm in dressage and jumping (I understand this to be a grounding but not further in these disciplines), whilst just starting cross country.
We are definitely looking to avoid a lazy plod but hopefully a safe and experienced horse.
Thank you

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The trouble that people can have with regards to importing to the UK from Ireland is that the same consumer laws do not apply which makes things more complicated/they don't have the usual protections they would have buying from a UK dealer, and obviously returns would be overly complicated too. So I'd definitely start looking there.

onlytheponely

Visit site
What would be helpful is a rough list of what your daughter can actually do, I know what Galop 5 involves but I'm not sure you do.
Most teenagers I know that are Galop 5 are fully paid up members of a big centre equestre and out competing at 80-90cms, horses and ponies from the centre are boxed up and taken to shows regularly. It's a big thing over here with huge classes.
Get her a schoolmaster/mistress who's been there, done it all, still does it well and can look after her. I've quickly googled and already found 3 or 4 decent horses within 25km of me, under 15yo and with solid competition records up to 120cm for 2500-3000 euros and would be subject to vetting obviously. All listed as Galop 4+ or 5 and suitable as a first horse.

SuziMare

Visit site
What would be helpful is a rough list of what your daughter can actually do, I know what Galop 5 involves but I'm not sure you do.
Most teenagers I know that are Galop 5 are fully paid up members of a big centre equestre and out competing at 80-90cms, horses and ponies from the centre are boxed up and taken to shows regularly. It's a big thing over here with huge classes.
Get her a schoolmaster/mistress who's been there, done it all, still does it well and can look after her. I've quickly googled and already found 3 or 4 decent horses within 25km of me, under 15yo and with solid competition records up to 120cm for 2500-3000 euros and would be subject to vetting obviously. All listed as Galop 4+ or 5 and suitable as a first horse.

Oh how interesting! Im not sure your using the same system as we do? As said she is working towards Galop 5, perhaps where you live they are more proactive? That is a bit odd what you mention! Where we are, schools follow the Galop system, but competing is typically at Galop 5 upwards. As I’m sure you know, this is simply because Galop 5 is only just starting to gain an understanding of cadence. Just to check we are on the same page, single jumps are started at Galop 3, with leg-yields, balance and small combinations up to 2 feet at Galop 4? Once Galop 4 is complete you can then compete at club level. As this is what my daughter has sat. It seems a bit unusual that you mention the competing like that. Perhaps it’s just the schools? Where in France are you?

Nevertheless, a schoolmaster is what we are looking for 100% that can look after her as you mention! We have looked in our area and have found some promising results!

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
So pleased you have had some success in finding something to look at because regardless of what you buy it is wise to see and meet a few likely candidates and trying a few so you know what you are getting. It is also better to have conversations personally about anything you do to want view rather than texts and emails as you can tell from the tone of voice far more than you can from them

SuziMare

Visit site
Galop exams are nationwide through the FFE. Single jumps are Galop 2. I'm in 29, where are you?

Oh wow, I’m quite surprised that you say that. That is not what my daughter has done! She did single jumps at 3!
I always thought the FFE kept a tight grasp on riding clubs, hence the confusion

SuziMare

Visit site
I know the area a bit, more familiar to the east of there in Herault and Tarn.

I must say, I thought the Galop levels are as onlytheponely mentions tho.

Oh gosh really? Perhaps my daughter has been taught wrong! Are you familiar with the riding clubs in the area? Perhaps we need to move to a new club

SuziMare

Visit site
I don't know what area you are in with in the dept, or which riding club, so cant advise, on that as no info

Thank you anyway. I pray I’m just misremembering, but I will have to go and speak to the club tomorrow. This is troubling.

I’m so grateful this thread has managed to highlight this issue, thank you to both French friends.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Thank you anyway. I pray I’m just misremembering, but I will have to go and speak to the club tomorrow. This is troubling.

I’m so grateful this thread has managed to highlight this issue, thank you to both French friends.
As you mentioned earlier in the thread that your family run the dressage school, so you need to ask them why they are doing different levels......

I'm out.

onlytheponely

Visit site
Galop 3 is a short course of single jumps 50-60cm.
Galop 4 is a course of singles at 70cm.
Galop 5 is single jumps at 90cm and doubles at 75cm max. Be able to follow smoothly a Club 3 CSO course.

Very basic summary of the jumping requirements.

SuziMare

Visit site
As you mentioned earlier in the thread that your family run the dressage school, so you need to ask them why they are doing different levels......

I'm out.

They do dressage Galops solely/dressage module, my daughter is not with them. Besides, they require Galop 5 for learning and focus on those who have achieved galop 7

Last edited:

SuziMare

Visit site
Galop 3 is a short course of single jumps 50-60cm.
Galop 4 is a course of singles at 70cm.
Galop 5 is single jumps at 90cm and doubles at 75cm max. Be able to follow smoothly a Club 3 CSO course.

Very basic summary of the jumping requirements.

Ok thank you, I’ll check it with my daughter tomorrow and the run it by the club. I pray this is my old age!!! Thank you

Chuffy99

Visit site
A british M&M pony but make sure it is the right temperament most are great a few a bit strong so I would suggest a highland, fell, dales, connemara, Welsh c or d. It does depend on what you ultimately want to do all the above will so showing, jumping, dressage, eventing at a reasonable level with proper training, will also be great family pets and friends for life. Most are easy keepers healthy and friendly. If you just want a pony or horse then look around for the right temperament and dont go too tall the taller the horse the greater the strain on the legs
Any reason you didn’t mention New Forests? As 3 of them have just gone round Badminton grassroots clear they fit the criteria perfectly

windand rain

Visit site
Any reason you didn’t mention New Forests? As 3 of them have just gone round Badminton grassroots clear they fit the criteria perfectly
Round here they only come in at between 12.2 and 13.2 so thought they may be a bit small but I agree they would be perfect if you could find a big one

Snitch

Visit site
Well, a thread that a new OP has been checking back in on all day and even in last 20 mins, but not responded once facts were determined by others.....

TFF toddles off to check the troll sprays are in readiness for the next one to pop up 🤔
Don’t be like that, Fuzzy. Poor Jessica!
Oh wait....

😜😜

Orangehorse

Visit site
What about a Henson horse, a French breed from Normandy? Some are quite stocky but others are finer or the Selle Francais? They are winning event horses and France's sport horse, there must be lots of those around. Personally I think an Irish Draft might be a real nice horse, but they are a LOT of horse for a teenager to ride, I would be looking for something around 15.2 maximum that has some experience that knows what it is doing.
Don't buy anything for a girl that has been ridden by a boy.

SuziMare

Visit site
Sorry, what does “new OP” mean? I thought there could only be one original poster?

Secondly, I am not jessica!!! I don’t know why you keep calling me that or how to make you see that I am not her! If you have friendly advice, please do offer it, but I am not jessica!!

jakeyhorse

Visit site
This little altercation above is concerning me. I was told this website is kind and helpful. I am a middle aged woman living in the South of France who is looking for advice from back home that is not totally dressage obliterated as my family give me! I am not this girl you mention.
I breed and import from the UK.
Hi I live in France and have bought over here pm and I'll get back to you.