Best flea treatments for cats?

Crazydancer

Visit site
I've had my 2 cats for 10 years and never really had a problem with fleas. One is mostly white so it's very easy to see. He had fleas when he was about 1 and was treated at the vet as he had a reaction, but since then, I've not seen a flea on either of them. I've used Frontline occasionally, maybe once every 3 or 4 months and they've been fine.
A few months back one was scratching so I checked (yup, fleas) treated them both, but the fleas persisted. So I've treated them both at the 1 month spacing now 3 times, and we still have fleas........ still only on the cats, I've not noticed them in the house.

What would be a more effective treatment that can be bought over the counter/online??

Thanks!
*scratch*

Umbongo

Visit site
Go to a vets and get a veterinary product. Stronghold, advocate etc.
Stuff bought over the counter is just not worth it.

WandaMare

Visit site
Go to a vets and get a veterinary product. Stronghold, advocate etc.
Stuff bought over the counter is just not worth it.

I agree. Also I noticed recently that the Frontline (3 treatments ) they sell in our local chemist is more expensive than the effective products sold by our vet.

Fidgety

Visit site
I'm sure I've read/heard that there are resistance problems with Frontline? I use Stronghold, sorts out the blighters very quickly :).

Roxylola

Visit site
False economy to buy anything over the counter they just don't work. Effipro or stronghold from the vet and get a can of indorex for the house

Blackwijet

Visit site
Basic Frontline is losing effectiveness Frontline combo is slightly better. Personally I use Broadline as it treats fleas, ticks roundworms and tapeworms. Probably overkill for mine as they are housecats but they have access to a garden catio so if any other cats or critters had been in the garden with fleas/ticks they potentially could be passed through the wire etc.