Best fly mask for vision

Jo1987

Visit site
Hi everyone, I’ve just brought home a new horse, he’s an ex racer and has obviously never encountered fly spray or fly masks! The flies are horrendous atm and I feel he’d be more comfortable in a mask during the day, they were walking into his eyeballs this morning! He does have a cataract in one eye and behaved as if I’d blindfolded him when I tried a Shires mask on him today.
Has anyone found a mask that is a bit more see through? I’m a bit nervous about the Lycra ones in case they get twisted round and actually do become a blind fold!
thanks in advance

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I like the Premier Equine Busters (have tried them on myself!) and our boy gets on fine with them and the Equilibriums above, despite having cataracts. My mare also wears a Premier Equine - she has a cyst in one eye and can be very particular about what goes on her head but doesn’t mind it at all.

Caol Ila

Visit site
A friend of mine at the yard has a nearly transparent one she bought from something like bighorse.com. Her horse is, well, a big horse. Mostly draft of some sort. She said they come in other sizes.

Jo1987

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I’ve ordered him a le mieux one, they look fairly see through. Hopefully he won’t find it too offensive!

Caol Ila

Visit site
To be honest, I'm still living in the '90s when there was just one type of fly mask available. Now there's a huge array and it freaks me out.

Green Bean

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I’ve ordered him a le mieux one, they look fairly see through. Hopefully he won’t find it too offensive!
I tried the Le Mieux one, but even their largest one wouldn't fit my horse. She is an ISH and doesn't have a particularly large head so I was disappointed as was looking for a lighter mesh.
I have stuck with my Shires one as it fits her well. What I have had to do is wash it every weekend as I noticed there area where she would rub her eye on her leg with the mask on was dirty and you couldn't see out of it. Since doing this she has become much happier with it

Jo1987

Visit site
I tried the Le Mieux one, but even their largest one wouldn't fit my horse. She is an ISH and doesn't have a particularly large head so I was disappointed as was looking for a lighter mesh.
I have stuck with my Shires one as it fits her well. What I have had to do is wash it every weekend as I noticed there area where she would rub her eye on her leg with the mask on was dirty and you couldn't see out of it. Since doing this she has become much happier with it
Oh no, I’ve ordered a large, he seems to be a ‘small full’ size in most things so fingers crossed it will fit ok! If not I may have to just keep covering him in fly gel. Unfortunately I can’t find a fly repellent that lasts all day!

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Oh no, I’ve ordered a large, he seems to be a ‘small full’ size in most things so fingers crossed it will fit ok! If not I may have to just keep covering him in fly gel. Unfortunately I can’t find a fly repellent that lasts all day!

I got medium/cob for my Welsh D & it fits but only halfway on the velcro - fits fine he could do with a large really to have it more secure.