Best Fly Rug for Midges

fornema

Visit site
As the midges are bad already, I need to get my new boy a fly rug, as don’t want him getting too itchy when he goes out 24/7. What are the best rugs on the market currently as haven’t bought a new one in a number of years (other pony already has 4).

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I find the sweet itch hoodie are good (although it infuriates me that the clips can’t be adjusted!)!and because they’re cotton they also act like stable rubbers!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I really like my Shires sweetitch rugs, I have Highlander plus ones with the ear holes.
They give really good coverage and are tough and washable
I have waterproof ones also but just find them too warm for nicer weather.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OK OP so it might help if we can clarify exactly what you will be needing if your horse is being bothered by midges.

Having had a horse with Sweet Itch, I'd suggest you look at a proper "sweet itch" hoody rug. Yes they will be more pricey, but if it is midges as opposed to merely flies you want to keep off your horse, then this is what you will need. These kinds of rugs will/should provide protection over the neck & poll area and have sufficient material to cover the tail well. They will also provide more body-coverage than a bog-standard fly rug would do. I always found the Premier Equine "hoody" sweet itch rugs were good; this was a good few years ago now. Weatherbeeta did one a while back, but having looked at it, I wasn't keen on it.

A fly rug WILL keep some midges off, yes, but there will be far less coverage over the neck & poll area, and the tail area might have a considerably less generous tail-flap. I did find that out of all the fly-rugs on the market, I could use the Amigo Mio fly-rug for my old lad if he was standing-in in the stable or yard as they do provide good coverage both to the neck and the tail area. This is the only one on the market that I would consider if looking specifically for a rug to put on a horse for midges. Haven't found anything else out there as good - yet.

Hope this helps. X

Indieanna6

Visit site
I have had the Amigo Bug Buster for a couple of years now and am very happy with it, it has great coverage. I always chuckle the first time every year that I pop it on as it makes me thing she looks like a Knight's horse 🫢

Stock photo but shows the coverage well :)

1712662648800.png

teddy_

Visit site
My horse has mild sweet-itch and I have found the Amigo Rip Stop Hoody works best for her. She gets too hot under conventional sweet-itch rugs, and then destroys them 😁.

It's not suitable for severe sufferers, as there is no belly flap.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My horse has mild sweet-itch and I have found the Amigo Rip Stop Hoody works best for her. She gets too hot under conventional sweet-itch rugs, and then destroys them 😁.

It's not suitable for severe sufferers, as there is no belly flap.
This is such a shame, I was looking at them the other day and they look really good, but i really want tummy coverage as that's really what seems to annoy my (non SI) horses most. They have pony size ones on offer at Hope Valley at the moment.

teddy_

Visit site
This is such a shame, I was looking at them the other day and they look really good, but i really want tummy coverage as that's really what seems to annoy my (non SI) horses most. They have pony size ones on offer at Hope Valley at the moment.
That is a shame as they've been a total life saver for my girl. I'll never forgive Horseware for discontinuing the original Aussie Allrounder as that ticked all the boxes!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Provided you have fields set up so they can't rub I agree that the Boett is best.
If you need something rub proof Premier Equine and Shires do good sweet itch hoodies.

fornema

Visit site
Doesn’t have sweet itch but they are biting him something terrible on his whorls in front of his sheath, so doesn’t necessarily need to be an SI rug but one with good tummy coverage.

Mudfukkle

Visit site
That is a shame as they've been a total life saver for my girl. I'll never forgive Horseware for discontinuing the original Aussie Allrounder as that ticked all the boxes!
I've seen Aussie Allrounders for sale - this one on Redpost, it has the removable neck cover, looks the same as the original?

teddy_

Visit site
I've seen Aussie Allrounders for sale - this one on Redpost, it has the removable neck cover, looks the same as the original?

Thank you - unfortunately it doesn't have the hoody part or the belly flap that the original rug did :(.

tristars

Visit site
Doesn’t have sweet itch but they are biting him something terrible on his whorls in front of his sheath, so doesn’t necessarily need to be an SI rug but one with good tummy coverage.
i put vaseline on my big geldings sheaths, sometimes on the belly in front and wash the inside of the sheath to make less attractive to pests using a little dettol

and use nettex fly spray every morning even now, and have the nettex cream in a pot, so ready for action!