Best food for dogs with DCM

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Diesel has been diagnosed with DCM very early stages and Darcy his sibling is even earlier and is not on meds(Cardisure) which Diesel is, they are both 11yrs old in Feb and are in good condition still running around like lunatics and no symptoms apart from Diesel who has the occasional cough. They could both still die of old age if the progress of DCM is slow but they could also drop dead tomorrow.

Now there is evidence of lack of Taurine in their diet is a contributing factor and with dogs being fed grain free these days there is a distinct lack of it in their diet. Research has recommended raw but I dont really want to go down this road unless I have to, can anyone recommend a food with this or something that will not make matters worse.

Im waiting the results of their holter tests and will have this talk with my vet as well but wanted to be informed as much as possible.

Needless to say this has hit me like a bombshell and I want to do everything I can to give them the best quality of life.

I do know DCM is genetic in Dobes but as they were both rescue I have no knowledge of their breeding, thanks for getting this far and Im hoping someone can give me a lifeline.

Clodagh

Visit site
Druid has had a dog with it I think, so she may be able to help. I'm sorry to hear the news. Eleven is not a bad age for a dobe, is it? Although I know that doesn't help.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I am sorry to hear about Diesel and Darcy.

There is a taurine supplement for dogs - AniForte Taurine Powder. I don't know if that would be any good.

Have you tried a Google search for dog food with added taurine, that might turn up something.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I know you can buy the Taurine supplement but I dont know if they have had a blood test to test their levels, thats a question for my vet and I dont want to buy something they might not need atm.

I seem to remember Hills Prescription diet do a heart care one but how good is it? and would it actually help with DCM, I know there isnt a cure but just trying to slow the progression.

druid

Visit site
Any of the cardiac diets are a good start. Royal Canin do one. I would steer clear of grain free foods with potatoes, sweet potatoes or legumes such as peas, lentils and chick peas. If you want to do raw look at the low purine and phosphorous complete mince from Nutriment.

You want high levels of taurine and L-caritin with low levels of sodium, potassium, magnesium and phosphorous.

Oddly, If you can get hold of it Royal Canin Great Dane food is a cheaper stepping stone towards cardiac support without going for a full on veterinary diet

Aru

Visit site
Essentially what druid said.

Great Dane adult is well designed for dcm affected breeds(adult only not puppy as the ca phosphorus ratio and a few other things are different) or any of the cardiac specific foods.

Taurine supplementation may not be required (unless you have been feeding grainfree) as this is usually a genetic issue in the Doberman.

Medications often are the mainstay treatment-pimobenden being the mainstay at the moment. The vets who's doing the holter monitoring and xrays will guide you on any others you might need if there are arryhtmias etc

There's a lot more research into dcm at the moment thanks to the fda investigations throwing light on the condition so the cardio vets should be able to give you the best advise on what actually is likely to help.

BBP

Visit site
I can’t help with dogs or diets but from a personal point of view with a mildly dilated heart, intense exercise exacerbated my symptoms. My heart rate at rest increases and gets erratic and I get breathless with chest pain even at rest. The more I rest or keep it low key slow and steady exercise, the better I feel. If I run or do strenuous things it can set me back a lot, and I was told that you can develop an electrical fault which can be pretty serious.

This is no good to me as I’m young and need to work out for the rest of my health, but with older dogs perhaps reduce the amount of lunatic running and try to do longer slower exercise? Hard I know to stop dogs being crazy dogs!