Best girth to stop saddle slipping?

SirDuke

Visit site
As title really - used a girth with elastic on only one side and saddle started slipping. Have had saddle checked and she said either go for one with elastic on both sides or no elastic but horse can occasionally be girthy so want something as comfortable as possible for him but that doesn't slip!

Abacus

Visit site
The synthetics or one with a sheepskin liner, or even an old-fashioned fabric girth are probably less slippy than a leather girth. Alternatively you can try using a gel pad under the saddle as well.

I'd be tempted to try fabric - I have really come round to it after buying one for £5 in a discount bin - washable and I think would be more comfortable then most hard leather girths.

Shady

Visit site
i had this problem with one of mine and decided to try a Flexi Girth, i was dubious when it arrived but it's fantastic and the horse loves it, it's quite clever in how it works and great for hacking when you have to get on and off a lot which i have to do on some trails, i never get any rubbing and it's almost impossible to over girth which could work for you if your horse is sensitive, they do come up second hand but cost about £30 ? new

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Elastic on one end will make the saddle slip for sure. On top of that, I would suggest getting a professionals choice ventech girth which is vented ultra soft neoprene. I've also just ordered a dever neoprene one so can report back about how it compares to the pro choice as its a lot (lot lot) cheaper.

Mrs B

Visit site
I'd second FfionWinnie's suggestion of a Professional's Choice one ... really pleased with mine, good as new after 2 years but most importantly, it does it's job well without slipping and without having to be over-tightened.

Equi

Visit site
Are you leaning at all? If it's only slipping one way you may be without knowing it maybe in one rein just or around corner or something. I tend to lean and I always loose my right stirrup when I'm doing it so I try to not lol

SirDuke

Visit site
I do lean slightly to the outside which doesn't help but that would make it slip both ways whereas it definitely noticeably slips to one side. I'll look into the girth suggestions - thanks all

MagicMelon

Visit site
I use this one: https://www.rideaway.co.uk/wintec-chafeless-girth?sku=343210&_$ja=cgid:14059606345|tsid:59260|cid:205661305|lid:81491745745|nw:g|crid:74760461425|rnd:18081806012156329507|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1&gclid=CJHP3oTEt84CFUIq0wodvBcLVw

I tried several girths and this is the one I found best, it doesnt have elastic either end (there is a version of this that does so watch out). Seems to fit nicely and not rubbed at all. Elastic ones I found an absolute nightmare.

Equi

Visit site
That's what I do too re the leaning. It actually makes you lean the OTHER way cause your so conscious about leaning to the other side. If possible try stirrup less ride just to see. I do think girth a need to be symmetrical though with elastic on both or no elastic.