best grazing muzzle

enchantedunicorn

Visit site
My horse went out with a fly mask on the other day and he didn't come back with it - I think it came of when he rolled. So I'm guessing he's going to be great at getting his grazing muzzle off! I currently have a Mark Todd comfort grazing muzzle - does anyone know if this is a good muzzle for staying put or not and what is the best muzzle for staying put? - thanks

TwyfordM

Visit site
Have this issue with my mare .. She flips it off over her nose by rubbing it on her leg! Little madam, have to attach it to her headcollar (literally tie it on!)

flojo

Visit site
Mine has a dinky rugs muzzle, he has never managed to taken it off, used it over about 4 years & replaced once.

My horse wears a Dinky muzzle too, it's the only kind that hasn't rubbed his muzzle raw and I wouldn't use any other now. The worst culprit for rubbing was the GreenGuard!
Don't let the name fool you though, they come in all sizes not just for little 'uns
gigglesmile.gif

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Mine has worn shires ones for years, have tried a couple of different ones but they are the only ones that are ok. I have pics of how I customised mine if you want them you'll have to pm me your email cos I can't upload from my phone on here or my work computer.

I have to say the WORST decision Shires have made is to change the throat fasctening from a clip closure to a velcro, this simply wont work !!!! when I use the new version I will be cutting that off and replacing with clip closure straight away ! I do like the sheepskin they've put in but not sure if it will be too warm in the summer as I usually customise my own

loz9

Visit site
I have a dinky one & unless she manages to hook it on a tree it tends to stay put! Much prefer it to the others as its doesn't rub her raw & has lovely big nostril holes, overall it seems more 'summer friendly' especially as it doesn't have a rubber base (can imagine it will cause the nose to get quite hot). Only downside is her technique for eating means that she seems to eat her way through 2-3per year, but she does wear it 16-18hrs per day April-Nov time.

Hen

Visit site
I'm very pleased with the Shires fleece lined job - mare is very happy in it. I have an older non-lined Shires bucket which did cause the occasional rub but she still prefers that to the Dinky one which she couldn't get the hang of at all. I think a lot of what works/doesn't work is down to an individual horse's head and mouth conformation.

RonnieHowe

Visit site
I have a Roma 'bucket' style one which hasn't rubbed (unlike shires one I had previously).
I think different brands fit different horses so it's a bit of trial and error!

elizabeth1

Visit site
I have a Roma 'bucket' style one which hasn't rubbed (unlike shires one I had previously).
I think different brands fit different horses so it's a bit of trial and error!

As above.one of my horses is totally happy in the best friend muzzle.My other horse refused to accept any muzzle and got them all off,one by one until I was lent a greenguard with its own head collar.She accepted this straightaway.Whether it was the central strap running down her face or the more open basket weave style of the muzzle,whatever it was she has been happy in this and it does not rub.much better for her to be part of the herd as she suffers separation anxiety when strip grazed.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Its a stupid idea to change the clip closure on the new shires ones to velcro though, as soon as any mud gets on there it would be a right pain. I've cut mine off and attached a clip closure from an old muzzle. I've just started using it and its great as you dont' have to mess around with attaching sheepskin. I still have to customise it lol

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't have an issue with the velcro - now that both bits of velcro are held shut with some elastic bands! I'd def prefer a clip to take on and off though - the velcro on the dinky muzzle is definitely better, don't know if that is because it isn't attached to nylon so is flatter? He's had it off once but I think that was because he stood on it as it just looked like the velcro had done it's job.

No rubs with either and he is very sensitive (but has chomped through the dinky) - greenguards have rubbed all three horses on the yard that have them even though they are modified with extra sheepskin.