Best grooming tool for removing dried mud in mane - sensitive pony

Spangles

Visit site
Prefer not to use a rug with a neck to avoid rubs but the Hippo likes his mud bath. Any tips or suggestions for best grooming tool or tip for removing dried mud in mane incl clods !!!! Pony not keen on mane being brushed at the best of times

scruffyponies

Visit site
If mud is wet, just leave it. If dry then fingers followed by a dandy brush is probably best.
This pulls individual hairs less. The sensitive ones really don't like mane combs.

Tarragon

Visit site
I would just use my fingers. Hold a bunch of mane in one hand and ease away strands a bit at a time. It is the way i was taught to do tails as well. It stops thinning.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My cob has a very full mane and is also extremely sensitive, the look I get if she decides I have 'pulled' when detangling has to been seen to be believed.:D I let any mud dry and then break it up with my fingers - she does like to lie down outside and always chooses the best mud that she can find to do so.

Carrottom

Visit site
I also use fingers to break up the clouds and tease out. I use baby oil on tails but I'm wary of putting it on manes in case it gets on my reins and makes them slippery.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
Not sure how long the mane etc is but can you plait up. My hairy beast is plaited from about end Sept to end march. Just put about 6 plaits in her very long mane and take them out every couple of weeks shake them out, flick a dandy type haas mane brush through and re plait. At least plaited the mane won't become tangled and knotted om the mud so less stress for horse having to be brushed

Bubblewrap

Visit site
I use mane and tail conditioning spray, spray all along mane and tail lifting a bit to get as much coverage as possible, gently massage into hair, groom rest of horse, go back and brush with a mane and tail brush, (one with a handle). If I'm doing a sensitive horse or doing forelock, I spray the conditioner directly onto the brush.