best healing potions!

marion95

Visit site
Hi,

My mare has cut herself quite badly on barbed wire. I had the vet out last night and she is going to be ok - none of the cuts were too deep thankfully, but her legs are a real mess. The vet has told me to leave them uncovered and put some cream on, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for creams that help heal quickly and avoid scarring?

At the moment I'm using the yellow antibacterial jelly.

Thanks

baybeejay01

community.webshots.com
Honey!! If you want a quick healing, non-scarring treatment you've got to use honey tho' it does mean covering it up. Smear honey over the wounds and cover with clingfilm or similar and bandage to keep it in place, change the dressing regularly (twice a day if poss) and keep an eye on it. I put honey on a deep cut on my finger (chunk of flesh missing) and it has worked wonders (and it's cheap!)
smile.gif
No scar and no pain! Brill!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
yes. Ask your pharmacist to order M and M tulle dressing from Malam Laboratories Bolton. It has cod liver oil and honey in 32 tulle dressings and we have used it with great success on dreadful wounds, some of which the vet wanted to do plastic surgery on and immoilise the leg in plaster.
Clean the wound first then apply the dressing, cover with a sticky bandage and leave at least 36 hours untouched.
The dressings are about £12 a box and we have found ours appear to keep indefinitely.
I can't recommend these highly enough, they stick to the wound when put on, remove just as easily and leave minimal scarring.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Aloe Vera Gel - Although there were some pictures posted a while back of a wound that was treated with honey, and the results looked amazing. However if you going to try use brown paper over the honey and not cling film as if it slips/rolls it can go really tight.

old_girl

Visit site

Another vote for the honey here.

Have used it on horse and myself with great success.

I just spread it onto a dressing and vet-wrapped on top to keep it on, but if you were doing a large area i suppose you could just put it straight on the leg and then clingfilm on top.

allijudd

Visit site
ive just made my own...with aloe vera leaf cut up and smushed...mixed with grapeseed oil, and a couple of drops of tea tree oil and oil of lemon mixed in...works a treat!

BethH

Visit site
I've heard Camrosa has meths in it, don't know if it is true or not but if it is then I would avoid putting it on an open wound, I've heard there are vets that won't recommend using this. If there is no infection in the wound and it is clean I would put calendular oil on it as it helps the soft tissue heal but I have also heard Aloe vera is good too. I must get the courage to try honey one of these days I always worry if it doesn't work it will be too late to get the wound to heal nicely, but think it sounds a great natural treatment

Lark

Visit site
I have been using Camrosa for all manner of problems from open wounds, hair loss, cuts; even on myself and I have never had anything like it - it is really quite brilliant.

It has worked on one particular wound that would not heal; camrosa worked where nothing else did and no proud flesh.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone and I order more even before I have gone through the first pot.

Its seals the wound while healing and also has a fly repelant in it. Hope this helps

MagicMelon

Visit site
CUT HEAL!!! DEFINATELY! Our vets recommend this for all damage! Its brilliant and definately reduces the scarring dramatically. I used it on my boys sarcoid which flared up a few months ago and it healed up extremely quickly. Also used it when one of mine fell onto a barbed wire fence and has a very large patch of skin missing on a hind leg (in a dodgy place, so couldnt bandage etc. and was hell to keep clean!) - used these daily and amazingly NO scarring at all! No white hairs or anything and it was a very nasty injury which the vet thought would scar.

The ONLY thing I dont like about it is that it seems to make the hair round about the injury go really gunky which you cant get off, eventually the hair actually comes away with it! So I dont use the spray, I use the gel to dab JUST on the wound, not round about it.

Peanot

Visit site
I use wondergel for a range of cuts, grazes etc, as it contains aloe vera, tea tree and other ingredients that aid healing and hair regrowth. I also use sudocrem sometimes, depending on where it is.