Best holiday destination with dogs

Moobli

Visit site
So - where do you head on holiday when taking your dog?

I am off to my own cottage in Glen Etive in August for a family break, and then my sister and I are hoping to get a week's walking in September. I almost always head North and West for my dog walking holidays and this year will be no different and we are currently whittling down a number of possibilities - namely Loch Laggan area, Ardnamurchan or Glenfinnan. Two we have been to before and had a brilliant time and the third would be new to us both.

Pictures of your best dog holidays more than welcome.

Amye

Visit site
For a short break we probably always head to the Lakes (Lake District) but for a longer family holiday it's the Isles of Scilly. Been going seen I was a kid and everyone takes their dogs when we go. Me and my parents take the whippets of course and when I was a child we took our BC and Amber (the mongrel).

My mum at the moment is down there (dad and I couldn't get the time off work) with my grandparents, she's taken the whippets and my grandparents have their spaniel. She's sent me a few pics and videos and the dogs are loving it. The islands are made for walking so we always have long walks along the headland to the various beaches where they love a good run (with breaks at the cafes for coffee and cake!). We take the boats to all the different islands to explore, it's great!

Few pics from the last couple of times we've been:

19702274_10211268547282403_668107511001922115_n.jpg

11230649_10155830350730434_8303445727284582793_n.jpg

1176170_10153189845045434_316348947_n.jpg

10906381_10155830352495434_2246591532309386281_n.jpg

10341773_10155830351190434_7647382013989556571_n.jpg

The islands are also absolutely stunning when the sun is shining, it's a beautiful place! Next year, when we all go there will be 10 of us and 5 dogs! God help everyone else on the islands! :D

11754284_10155830350965434_8649304626879224416_n.jpg

11760065_10155830351570434_6418869981778450347_n.jpg

I apologise for the overload of photos! :eek:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Scilly has always looked fabulous, and very tropical when you live in Scotland lol.

I am a bit glum wrt holidays atm as it looks as though it would be best to cancel my glamping trip in Wales with Quarrie. we are possibly going to Portmahomack in October with both dogs. Other than that, the Pembrokeshire coast is hard to beat-walked it with my collie before the advent of digital so no photos (there was also the tail end of a massive storm that we camped out it-rather a nervewracking night lol)

Fiona

Visit site
How about Ireland???

We have had fantastic holidays in West Cork and Kerry with dogs, or the north coast. Donegal for the beaches or Antrim for Giants Causeway etc.

Went to Scotland (Crieff direction) once and had a brilliant time apart from JRT getting covered with ticks.

Have also done Lake District and Cornwall.

If you are planning lots of beaches then I would always go June or September though if bringing dogs.

Fiona

Amye

Visit site
Scilly has always looked fabulous, and very tropical when you live in Scotland lol.

I am a bit glum wrt holidays atm as it looks as though it would be best to cancel my glamping trip in Wales with Quarrie. we are possibly going to Portmahomack in October with both dogs. Other than that, the Pembrokeshire coast is hard to beat-walked it with my collie before the advent of digital so no photos (there was also the tail end of a massive storm that we camped out it-rather a nervewracking night lol)

Yes it does look tropical! If it was a few degrees warmer you could believe you were on a tropical island - the sea always looks so inviting but trust me it's freezing!!

I love Wales but we've never holidayed there. I spent my uni years in Bangor and spent lots of time exploring Snowdonia :) Hope you get yours hols sorted!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I spent every summer at Scilly from birth till I left home .
It's just a fantastic place ,no where like it .
Those photos made me feel tearful .

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Went to IOW a couple years ago - and absolutely loved it. Fab cottage that we were able to bring three dogs, completely secure dog friendly garden to hang about in of an evening, lots of dog friendly pubs and miles of hiking.

Few years back further, we went to Aviemore, rented a cottage again. It was lovely, up a long dirt track in a forest, and some stunning scenery as well. For me I prefer beaches to mountains, so IOW was my favoured between them.

EllenJay

Visit site
Going to Lincolnshire next week with two dogs.

Previously have taken them to Kent, Dorset, Yorkshire, Lake District, and later this year will be going to Cornwall.

Amye

Visit site
I spent every summer at Scilly from birth till I left home .
It's just a fantastic place ,no where like it .
Those photos made me feel tearful .

I hope in a good way GS :)

It's really 'one of those places'. We've been going so long it feels like home now! My Nan who knows quite a few of the locals now on account of how many years she's been going.

Moobli

Visit site
How about Ireland???

We have had fantastic holidays in West Cork and Kerry with dogs, or the north coast. Donegal for the beaches or Antrim for Giants Causeway etc.

Went to Scotland (Crieff direction) once and had a brilliant time apart from JRT getting covered with ticks.

Have also done Lake District and Cornwall.

If you are planning lots of beaches then I would always go June or September though if bringing dogs.

Fiona

My mum is Irish and so we have lots of family over there (Laois) but I haven't been back since I was a teenager. We used to spend each summer holiday when we were kids on my grandparents farm and loved every minute of it but the restrictions on certain breeds (inc my own) puts me off going as an adult. Certain breeds have to be muzzled and on a short lead when in public, inc GSDs.

Moobli

Visit site
We went through the pros and cons and have decided on Ardverikie Estate again near Laggan (many will know it as Glenbogle from the Monarch of the Glen TV series).

We stayed last year and had an absolutely brilliant time. We are staying on a different part of the Estate this time, in a different cottage, so it will feel a little like being somewhere new :D

I will add some photos when I have found another photo hosting website :( Soooo mad at Photobucket!!!

godfreyy

Visit site
Just got back from a week in Bournemouth with my Shiba. Right at the end of Sandbanks, where the chain ferry to Swanage is, is lovely stretch of beach which is dog friendly. There's a lovely dog friendly cafe in The Triangle in Bournemouth, and your also a short drive away from some really nice places for walking too.

Definitely looking forward to going back at some point - tho we're also in talks of going somewhere in Europe for our next one! Apparently Germany is very dog friendly (source: a very good friend of ours who regularly takes his dog to Germany as his other half has family out there).

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Yes Germany is very nice too but their ticks are hideous lol!
And yes like NL very dog friendly, you will see dogs lying calmly under tables in restaurants, cafes and hotels.

oldie48

Visit site
Exmoor! Beautiful, unspoiled and underpopulated if you avoid the few touristy places but you need to be reasonably fit. Pembrokeshire is also beautiful if you want miles of empty beaches without having to travel to Scotland.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Coming from the Midlands we tend to head to the Welsh coast, anywhere between Barmouth and Abersoch, and back into Snowdonia for walking.

10494815_10203722887570576_3490144430415784791_n.jpg

11219069_10206498766125805_696012491467118156_n.jpg

This year we've been offered the opportunity for a bit of a once-in-a-lifetime holiday to Cornwall in a stunning cottage but it means going in the height of the summer holidays, eek. I'll report back if we make it home in one piece!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Lake District, every childhood holiday, epic walks. We took big dog there and did an epic walk, ending at Stickleback Tarn. Poor lad was covered in ticks :(

Fiona

Visit site
My mum is Irish and so we have lots of family over there (Laois) but I haven't been back since I was a teenager. We used to spend each summer holiday when we were kids on my grandparents farm and loved every minute of it but the restrictions on certain breeds (inc my own) puts me off going as an adult. Certain breeds have to be muzzled and on a short lead when in public, inc GSDs.

Only in the Republic of Ireland, not in Northern Ireland, come in September and do Giants causeway, downhill beach etc... Great doggie friendly area.

Fiona