Best Hoof Boots ….lots of questions

Kenzo

Visit site
Hello Peeps,

Debating on getting some hoof boots, think I might try them on Mr M’s hinds to see if going unshod will help with his spavins (as well as having a well trimmed hoof that is) it’s something I’ve talked about doing in the past (I mean years ago just to save on shoeing costs) but never really got round to sorting it out but now seems a better reason than ever, as he’s not going to be competing any time soon and people have often mentioned why not try hoof boots….and I’ve never really had a reason why not to, so I’m just trying to learn a bit more about them really.

Questions…..sorry there’s quite a few!

So who uses hoof boots on here?, any well known riders use them? (I’m guessing they will be more popular with endurance folk.

Which ones and why? when I say why (obviously you prefer your horse to be unshod) but how does it work better for your particular horse/pony?

Does anyone compete in hoof boots, presume if you do it’s low level stuff but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong! if you do compete (providing you don’t require studs) do you just take them off for what ever you compete in for example jumping?

Is there a particular hoof boot you would recommend for a ‘hoof boot virgin’ as in reasonably priced and easy to fit, say a basic boot for hacking about in.

Are there makes that tend to fit certain breed types better than others?

How long do they last?

Do you just use them for riding on the roads/uneven ground etc?

How long roughly (I know it will vary between the individual horse/pony) do you have your horses feet trimmed if they are not being worn with road work and only pottering around on the grass and across the stable yard etc?

Any info will be very much appreciated, feel free to post links :)

ThePony

Visit site
So who uses hoof boots on here?, any well known riders use them? (I’m guessing they will be more popular with endurance folk.
- We used hoof boots with OH mare as she was sore straight out of shoes because of terribly weak feet.

Which ones and why? when I say why (obviously you prefer your horse to be unshod) but how does it work better for your particular horse/pony?
- used easyboot gloves as the sizes suited her hoof size well (def get the fit kit, I wouldn't have got close even by careful measuring!) they aren't bulky so didn't affect her breakover or rub her. She took them totally in her stride and was more comfy straight away. Then on less challenging surfaces they can be removed so she can get the most benefit from having her shoes off, but with the protection she needed for a while. This helped her work and so give stimulus to develop stronger feet but without any discomfort.

Does anyone compete in hoof boots, presume if you do it’s low level stuff but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong! if you do compete (providing you don’t require studs) do you just take them off for what ever you compete in for example jumping?
- didn't compete in them because she was fine on a surface anyway (she mainly jumps and does dressage), and if we needed them for eg endurance then I would worry they might be hiding a weakness that she needed time to work on herself.

Is there a particular hoof boot you would recommend for a ‘hoof boot virgin’ as in reasonably priced and easy to fit, say a basic boot for hacking about in.
- easy boot gloves are very popular, and they also do a wide fitting so more horses fit into them comfortably. The fit kit is a godsend!! Thesaddleryshop.com has a brilliant section on measuring feet and also size charts so you can pick a boot that suits your horses hoof shape. Call them if there is still too much choice, they are really helpful. I must admit the easy boot gloves took a fair bit of hauling to get on at first, but they never budged or rubbed (despite long hacks and interesting above the floor antics!).

- no, all goes on hoof shape and size, so down to each horse really. The hoof will most likely change shape as they develop out of shoes so that is another confusion to add to the whole thing! You can sell them on easily on pheonixhorse or ebay should your horse change shape and size enough to need them changing.

How long do they last?
- ages!! Didn't come close to wearing ours out, then they went on ebay when she had developed a stong enough hoof not to need them (she was put onto a mineral balanced diet, this along with work transformed her feet. About 9 months after mineral balancing we got rid of the hoof boots. A fresh new barefoot hoof had grown by then which was capable of coping comfortably over all surfaces so we cashed the boots in!

- She was only uncomfortable over rough roads and hard rough ground so she only worse them for hacks which took us over those surfaces.

How long roughly (I know it will vary between the individual horse/pony) do you have your horses feet trimmed if they are not being worn with road work and only pottering around on the grass and across the stable yard etc?
- her hoof wall has always been very hard and slow growing so this wasn't really an issue, muddy fields also roll the edges just right! Ours haven't been touched since sept last year. No excess growth and v comfy horses. Our farrier was utterly excellent, but we found allowing her to fine tune her own balance really helped her comfort levels.

hth!!
here are the links:
http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/D/Hoof_Boots-(Hoof_Boots).aspx
http://phoenixhorse.myfastforum.org/index.php

good luck!

wyrdsister

Visit site
Hello Peeps,

Debating on getting some hoof boots, think I might try them on Mr M’s hinds to see if going unshod will help with his spavins (as well as having a well trimmed hoof that is) it’s something I’ve talked about doing in the past (I mean years ago just to save on shoeing costs) but never really got round to sorting it out but now seems a better reason than ever, as he’s not going to be competing any time soon and people have often mentioned why not try hoof boots….and I’ve never really had a reason why not to, so I’m just trying to learn a bit more about them really.

Questions…..sorry there’s quite a few!

- I've used them on two of mine (amazingly, they were the same size, despite a two hand height difference!).

- My favourites are the Old Mac G2s. They're a little clumpy, but never move and are completely indestructible!

- I've never needed them to compete in, one of mine is retired now, the other competes. We do dressage (soft arena surfaces) and show-jumping, with the odd bit of xc. She's now at the point where she doesn't need boots on any surface, but if she did need them for some reason, I'd double check the rules and compete in them. She jumps happily in them. Actually, she jumps better - she tends to pick her feet up more with the boots on!

- I'd always rec. the Old Macs, but the Cavellos seem to have a good reputation for basic hacking about.

- There are certain types that fit types of hoof better, depending on how long/wide your horse's feet are and at which ratio.

How long do they last?

- I bought my first pair over 4 years ago. With constant use on one horse, then bouts of regular use on another, they've just started to show signs of significant wear now and will probably needed replacing if/when I need them regularly again.

- I've used mine on one mare for turn-out when the ground is hard (she has awful, awful soles that will not respond to any sort of treatment/diet changes, grrr!) and very light work and on another because our driveway is nasty gravelly stone chunks and chips. As I can never face using them just for the drive and taking them off, they've also been used for roadwork and for fun rides that go over rough going. But I've also come back from a hack and popped over a few fences in the school in them with no problems. Neither horse is currently wearing them, though.

- Hmm, the mare with the naf feet who is now retired is trimmed by a farrier every 8 weeks or so. The competition mare I mostly trim myself, with a barefoot trimmer to check up on her every 3-4 months and a friend who used to be a trimmer who keeps an eye or helps when I do her.

Good luck!

dressagelove

Visit site
Heck, that's a long post ! :D

I have only recently started using hoof boots, took my lad barefoot in Jan, been using them since them, but I LOVE them.

I use Cavello Simples, as I thought they looked a bit like overeach boots once on, and not too intrusive, but I know other people find them clumpy. They are quick and easy to put on, although still takes time before I ride.
At the moment, I'm riding him on the roads, on gravelly tracks and in the sand school (which is quite firm).

Apparently they last around a good year, less or more depending on how much you use them, but time will tell how long they last for me.

My guy was really footy and unsure about walking anywhere, and he really starting the learn now that his boots are good underneth him, and we are stomping about all the over the place now :)

Hope this helps a bit x

fatponee

Visit site
Hello. My TB has Easyboot Gloves on his fronts. I find them really easy to put on and they stay put even when going through deep mud. Did try the Cavallo Simples originally but they rubbed his heels.

I use them because my horse has thin hoof walls and is tricky to shoe. He also has been diagnosed with arthritis in the fetlock and I felt going barefoot would be beneficial for him.

I don't use the boots when working in the sand school, just when out hacking. Although saying that, we have started to go out completely barefoot! Have been using the boots for about 8 months and they don't look even remotely worn!

Finally, horse is trimmed every 10 - 12 weeks as his feet keep nice and trim.

Hope this helps!

ticobay831

Visit site
another for easy boot gloves they are brilliant, very easy to put on and take off they're not bulky at all and are hard wearing..
I use them on my lads back feet when we go over stoney ground, or on his front if he looses a shoe, im lucky they fit both back and front.. :)
I have used old macs on my old Tb, they were good but not as easy to put on.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I use Cavallo Simples on my mare's front feet. They are suitable for rounder feet and the Cavallo sport are more suitable for feet which are longer than they are wide. I thought they were very clumpy at first, but horse took to them straight away and loves them. The gaiters which came with them are next to useless so I use the easycare gaiters which are for Boa boots and they do the trick - they are fantastic.

Kenzo

Visit site
That's great, thank you for your replies, lots of good useful info there, I shall now have have a dig around on the net now you have pointed me in the right direction.

Cheers guys:)