Best hoof boots?

soloequestrian

Visit site
Hoof size and shape notwithstanding, which do you think the best hoof boots are?
I'm planning to buy a new set for one of mine, who I have decided will never be able to work hard without (many, many years of trying). I haven't bought any for years, so have Boas and Old Macs but there seem to be lots of groovy new makes and models out there so wondering if I should try something different this time.
I have tried Gloves in the past, and hated them with a passion - think they are a bit Marmite-ish!
If hoof shape is withstanding, he has long, fairly narrow feet with terrible collapsed heels. I'm not looking for advice on feet though, just boots! Have several other horses with excellent feet!

Selkie

Visit site
I like the gloves (but I also like marmite), they did fit both my horses. I did have some that you had to pump air into, which I could never get 100% right but OH could so he had to put them on for me

spookypony

Visit site
I love the Renegades at the moment; seem much more forgiving in shape than some others, and actually stay on my pony's feet really well. No rubbing issues whatsoever. And extremely quick and easy to put on.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I tried those air ones years ago and didn't really get on with them either!
I've always fancied Renegades, just been put off by the price. May look at them more seriously though, especially given the jazzy colours you can get!
Has anyone tried the new Transitions from Easycare?

ann-jen

Visit site
I'm new to barefoot, but got old macs for mine and am really pleased with them, I was paranoid about rubs and tripping etc but have no problems whatsoever with them. Just wish they were easier to clean!

MrsNorris

Visit site
Another vote for gloves, they are a bit of a pain to put on, but once on, they don't move and you hardly know they are there, not clumpy at all.
Ahh, just noticed that you hated them! Oh well, it all depends really on hoof shape, I hated Marquis and Epics, and found Cavallos and Old Macs too clumpy, glove wides are perfect, its just trial and error I guess.

Last edited:

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, but just to reiterate, I HATE GLOVES. I tried them on two horses, neither of whom had ever lost a boot before, and the first canter on both they popped off and then span around their pasterns, scaring them. They were correctly fitted - they were the devil's own to get off if the horse hadn't popped them off itself and I had to use a mallet to put the damned things on! Hate, hate!

Mellis

Visit site
I'm another for Renegades. Fabulous, so easy to put on etc. had no slip issues which I believe some have stated.

Boulty

Visit site
Equine fusions. Very forgiving fit-wise, not too clumpy and I've never had a problem with them spinning or coming off (had ever so much fun with some epics before them that just would not stay on!). Bad points, however are lack of grip in boggy fields (tbf don't think any boot can offer good grip there), difficult to clean properly when they get caked in mud (& take ages to dry) and although I never had problems with them rubbing they do come above the hairline so a bit of a pain to use on muddy legs

Fransurrey

Visit site
Has anyone tried the new Transitions from Easycare?

Yes. I have a pair for Henry's hinds. Once on, they're amazing, but be warned, they're an absolute SOD to get on! The back is very, very snugly fitted (although I've had no rubbing problems at all).

I don't suppose you still have gloves? You can convert them to Backcountry boots. I had the same issue with regards to them coming off at anything more than a walk, but once converted they stayed put and are now in their third season. Converting them makes them much more flexible on fit, too.

Brightbay

Visit site
I don't suppose you still have gloves? You can convert them to Backcountry boots. I had the same issue with regards to them coming off at anything more than a walk, but once converted they stayed put and are now in their third season. Converting them makes them much more flexible on fit, too.

Ooh I never thought of that! I have just bought Renegades for the fronts after years of using Gloves. I loved the Gloves and didn't mind that they needed a mallet to go on. The only reason I wanted to change was that horse lives out and booting up onto muddy feet at the side of the road by the field gate is a challenge with them, plus they take ages to dry out.

I still have a useable set of Gloves that fit the hinds, but they tend to pop off at high speeds (fortunately the horse is unflappable and did about a mile during a LeTrec POR with one hind boot attached to his off hind by gaiter only...). i will look into converting them!

soloequestrian

Visit site
That's interesting about the Transitions - one of the reasons I want new boots is that I want some that are really easy to put on - sometimes just the thought of putting on boots is enough to send me into the school rather than go for a hack!
Renegades seem to be winning the race at the moment....

Hen

Visit site
I just love my Easyboot Gloves, easy to put on, easy to clean, very resilient (only lost one screw in a year of reasonably hard use) - but they are made for my horse's small round feet and she's very comfortable with the pastern wraps, being a reiner used to slide boots which also fit around the same area. They become quite a talking point as they look like ballet pumps and people seem to like the look of them :) I tried Cavallos but they were too welly-like for my wincey pony. Renegades do look awesome but on initial measurement the Gloves won. Be interesting to see as her feet really develop whether we need to swap brands or styles.
I guess there is only one real answer - the best hoof boots are the ones that fit best and offer the best support and stimulation...

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I've got some cavallo simples which are too big, so now I'm trialling some used renegades from the hoof boutique (well I will be next week I hope!) I'm hoping they will do the trick as they seem to get good reviews

Emilieu

Visit site
Do you find them durable? I have only seen pics and thought they might wear easily. What are they like on grass?

I had them for four months i think - maybe more - and he wore them pretty much non stop, often for turnout as well as riding as he was so sore. Had to go back to shoes and gave them away. They looked as good as new after a spin in the washing machine. There's nowhere round here to ride on grass so i never tried them out but as i said he wore them in the field and i never saw him have any bother.

webble

Visit site
I had them for four months i think - maybe more - and he wore them pretty much non stop, often for turnout as well as riding as he was so sore. Had to go back to shoes and gave them away. They looked as good as new after a spin in the washing machine. There's nowhere round here to ride on grass so i never tried them out but as i said he wore them in the field and i never saw him have any bother.

Oh they sound ok then thanks for that. i am saving up for some when my cavellos wear out :)