Best Horse fly repellent made up or bought in please

joy

Visit site
Exactly what it says.
What is the best repellent for horse flys before my boy goes really bonkers.

monkeymad

Visit site
I find the nettex range as good as any, but the only thing that brings real relief for mine is a fly rug and fly mask.

kezzysenior

Visit site
global herbs, fly free, using it on my yearling who has a massive wound on her leg that we cant bandage, mixed into the food is working a treat. Stinks to high heavens tho so mix with something strong.

salee

Visit site
fly/tick/louse/ pests here in France a lot of us use fly repellents sold for cows. you just pour the dose along the spine and it soaks in, similar to dog flea drops really,

**BUTOX & VERSATRINE, in pour on formulations
are the main ones used, they also deals with ticks which are serious disease carriers among horses here. no one has reported any problems and the vets un-officially say it's OK.

** butox has deltamethrine in it, which is also in coopers fly stuff and advantix dog collars, use it in the evening so it soaks in better and 'cos some can have a temporary sensitivity to sunlight reaction.

i bought mine from the local pharmacy for 23 euro (£19?) for a 250ml bottle of pour on, since i only use 15ml a horse and each dose should work for weeks its not that expensive.

in the UK you should be able to buy it from anywhere that sells farm stuff or the agricultural market shops?

P.S some also use the fly tags they use in cows ears, tied to the headcollars and rugs, not tried them myself but some that do swaer by them. bye

FeatherPower

Visit site
I make my own which is water, vinegar, lavendar oil, citronella oil and a squirt of fairy liquid (to help the oils mix in with the liquid - still needs a good shake though)

This works really well. Alternatively I discovered a roll on fly repellant, which is just like a deoderant bottle - perfect for those horseys that pull faces at fly spray and even better if your horse is on top of a windy hill!! much less wastage
wink.gif

helenandroger

Visit site
i used naff off deet spray and gel on welsh pony and sheltlandy thing - worked well - BUT posher horse has had adverse reaction to it with peeling skin and crusty scabs. it took about 2 wks for this reaction to appear. am going back to fly sheets and masks unless really hot, when they will probi cope with nothing. as for riding, ear cover and schooling whip to flick the pesky things off with. (will also be a lot cheaper!)