Best horse insurers?

misskk88

Visit site
Who do you ensure with?

What insurers are recommended, and who are to be avoided? I have read a lot of bad about petplan so may give them a wide birth.

I was with E&L for my first horse- but he never had any issues and so I never had to claim.

Mainly required for third party and vets fees. Any advice would be grand!

Toffee44

Visit site
Petplan have just paid out quickly for a claim.

Yes they are pricey but I think it's worth it for what seems to be good service PLUS you want an insurer the vet is happy to deal with direct and my vets will with pet plan. Dogs insured with Petplan too.

thewonderhorse

Visit site
I am with NFU. I haven't had a claim and they are pricey but I am lead to believe that they are good to deal with.

I was with E & L but heard horror stories about claims so I changed. A friend is still with E & L and is currently claiming but she has had no issues so far with them. Sorry not much help!!

Edited to say I think KBIS are part of E &L?? I might be wrong! :)

JulesRules

Visit site
I have just had my first ever claim.

I am insured with KBIS and they couldn't have been better. I kept them up to date with regular phone calls during the long process of investigations, scans, treatment etc and then filled in the front page of the form and sent it to my vet.

I asked them to pay my vet directly and they wrote to me to tell me they had paid the vet directly before I had even had the final account from my vet. They also covered supplements and "in -patient" livery costs.

I would not hesitate to recommend them following my experience.

KBIS are nothing to do with E&L!!!

Last edited:

misskk88

Visit site
I have a quote from KBIS, but will check out petplan and NFU too. I don't mind so much about an extra few quid a month- as long as it means security and support IF a claim ever arose!

JulesRules

Visit site
Just to add that during my claim my vet and I discussed insurance companies. She said other than E&L most others are good to deal with.

I used to be with Petplan but moved to KBIS Gold cover this year as they were cheaper. Quotes I have had from NFU have always been about a tenner a month higher :eek:

SEIB might be worth getting a quote from too although I have no experience of them.

Just to add that I found it cheaper to insure my trailer separately even though they are both with KBIS as they are with different underwriters.

misskk88

Visit site
Thanks for the details.

I have a fairly good quote from KBIS. I just entered the same details onto Petplan and they want around £15 per month more!! I think I will stick with KBIS for now :)

foraday

Visit site
NFU!!!

I am going to swap one of my horses back to NFU after Petplan just got expensive then put exclusions on despite my vet explaining to them that 3 werre accidents!

So stuff PetPlan!!!

sleepykitten

Visit site
Don't touch E+L with a barge pole!! Had to claim from them years ago and it was an absolute nightmare. Took absolutely ages. I use SEIB and they have been fab and I've claimed from them twice. Couldn't have been easier.

thewonderhorse

Visit site
They do trade under different names, I remember someone warning me about it when I was changing so look at the small print and make sure they're nothing to do with E & L. :)

lelabell

Visit site
Everyone has good and bad opinions about each insurance company.
It really is pot luck how your claim goes.
People told me horror stories about E&L when I was already with them. Just 5 months into my horses policy I had to claim on a wound she did in the field. They sent me forms, dealt with my requests and are paying mine and the vets bills continuously without any problems.
Hope you get on fine. Just read the fine print loads :)

Zero00000

Visit site
Only insurance company I have had to claim from were KBIS, I phoned them told them what was happening and pay excess, they contacted the vet and dealt with the rest, only had one letter at the end when it was all dealt with and a reminder to pay the remaining balance direct to the vet.
I could not have been happier with them, and the premium was very reasonable. (It was a rather big claim that took me over the limit).

MagicMelon

Visit site
SEIB are brilliant. They were cheaper than others when I swopped from NFU (who were dreadful IMO) and then paid out no problem for vets fees and then eventually loss of use. They were brilliant throughout and made things very easy which is what you need when going through the stress of having a bust horse :(

Turks

Visit site
I couldn't find anyone cheaper than NFU to insure my horse and trailer. The trailer only added approx £70 to the horse policy. I can't say I spent years searching but would like to know if anyone else managed better. NFU paid me extra bedding/feed costs due to box rest and transport to vets. They were great.