Best Horsey Book You Have Read?

RobinHood

Visit site
My favourite 'book' is the guide to the pony club AH test by Tish Adams, it's my Bible (yes, I know I'm sad
laugh.gif
)

aliacc

Visit site
Glad some one else remembers the whole series of Christine and Josephing Pullein Thompson books...I read the lot and they made me wish for a pony when I was young ..dreaming

and are probably the reason why since a few years ago we have owned a pony and then horse. I looked for them when my daughter was younger but couldn't even find in charity shops....she had to make do with Silver Brumby etc......

scrat

Visit site
I had a copy of the BHS Handbook years ago complete with illustrations of flat capped types in baggy jods showing how to make a wisp from hay.... I treasured it as I had won it for comming second in little show jumping competition when I was about 12. I seem to remember that those illustrations were still used in revised editions even though they were very dated. My most recent read was"In the Pink" by Molly Watson. Amusing and in a diary style so easy to stick with if you don't have too much time to read.

AliJo

Visit site
The Blacksmith by Jenny Maxwell and Blind Beauty by K M Peyton. Both good books. My all time favourite books are about a woman racehorse trainer (fictional) but I can't remember the author.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Not a fiction, dont seem to read horsey fiction.

But I bought 101 schooling exercises and its fab! My schooling ideas have been dwindling for months and we ended up doing the same old same old everytime. Now I can flick through and work on something specific!

lizstuguinness

Visit site
the horses mind by lucy rees.
ever wondered why your nag was being so stupid - answers in here.... fantasic book for getting inside their heads.. not just natural instincts but a whole host of the unexpected.

BUY, BUY, BUY, HELP YOUR HORSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i love kiddies pony books, may go and get some for the upcomming winter. Anyone remember that book " jills pony "and follow-ons? how that first book reminds me of when i had my first pony and hadnt got a clue!!)

riotgirl

Visit site
That was it! The three Jays. And the Pullen-Thompson ones. I am going to toddle off to ebay now to see if I can recapture my youth with some old books...
grin.gif

JACQSZOO

Visit site
The Jackie books. Loved them as a kid and still have mine. Always dreamed of having a grey pony called misty - when I got Tallagh (a dapple grey) I called her Tallagh Mist - closest I could get without being really silly!!
Course my name being Jacqui had nothing to do with the love of these books!

dieseldog

Visit site
Riders - love it

When I was a kid, Black Stallion, Sliver Brumby, Pullen- thompson sisters, Flicka books etc etc... have loads in the loft.

My copies of the books were so old I knew all about £ S D, even though I had never used them in real life!

jo1

hotmail.co.uk
I used to love all the follyfoot farm, black stallion, jilly, flicka etc.

I have the follyfoot farm ones but thats all now.
If anyone wants to get rid of their old copies please PM me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lozz1uk

Visit site
One of the Pullen-Thompson ones (i think) where she buys an event horse called Oberon. Can't remember what the book's called but it's definitely my favourite. Have read most of the others too! My mum collects old books and especially children's horsey ones so we've got most of them now, except Jinny which i think i used to get from the library, and loved!

Bess

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Show jumping: for fun or glory --> ernest dillon

[/ QUOTE ]I like that too. Also Surtees - Mr Jorrock's Hunt, and in a similar vein The Irish RM (can't remember who its by). I also like Stark Reality by Ian Stark. And of course all the Pullein-Thomson books.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
Training Showjumpers by Anthony Paalman, it was my bible for years and really informative about stable management aswell.
I also loved the Jill books too, and another one I read all about the Pony Club but I can't remember what it was called now but the girl had a Dun pony that was a stargazer, and the instructor was an ex jockey, anyone heard of it?

S_N

Visit site
What is the world coming to? I forgot to mention the 2 BEST books ever written that contain horses - Lord of the Rings (shadowfax and friends) and Gulliver's Travels (the Houyhnhnms - Gulliver returns is abandoned ashore and comes first upon a race of (apparently) hideous deformed creatures to which he conceives a violent antipathy. Shortly thereafter he meets a horse and comes to understand that the horses (in their language Houyhnhnm or "the perfection of nature") are the rulers and the deformed creatures ("Yahoos") are human beings at their most base.)

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Training Showjumpers by Anthony Paalman, it was my bible for years

[/ QUOTE ] OMG - completely forgot about that one! I had that when I was a teenager and it completely transformed my thoughts about training horses!

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
OMG - completely forgot about that one! I had that when I was a teenager and it completely transformed my thoughts about training horses!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I still had it, do you remember all those funny drawings of horses being fed from a haynet, then from the floor?
I still feed hay from the floor now....

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wish I still had it, do you remember all those funny drawings of horses being fed from a haynet, then from the floor?
I still feed hay from the floor now....

[/ QUOTE ] I've still got my copy! And yes I still hay from the floor too!