Best horsey places to live?

blackponies02

New User
Visit site
Hi, where would you say the best horsey areas in Scotland are? Preferably where there are good livery yards and also where there are jobs and decent rent prices! Probably impossible but I wanted to ask and see where comes closest to the requirements ?

TPO

Visit site
It depends firstly what kind of job you're looking for because I'm presuming that you'll need a job to pay for house and livery.

Then I guess it depends on what type of livery you are looking for (DIY/Full) and what sort of activities you enjoy and are looking to do e.g. is being close to show centres important or access to lots of hacking

I've lived, worked and liveried around Stirling, Clackmannanshire, Falkirk, Fife and Kinross and have horsey friends dotted about in those regions too so will help if I can

TPO

Visit site
I'm going to second Fife! Or Aberdeen?

Fife is huge and while there were quite a few yards around the area I was there were very few that I would keep a horse on.

Although need to emphasis again that Fife is big. When you google map the dream yard is always a smidge too far!

Obviously the same is true for all areas and we all have different requirements and things that we can compromise on.

It does seem that whatever area you are in you alway want to be a county over to have better/more options!

Chappie

Visit site
I've been in Tayside (central, east) about 13 years and like it. Weather very reasonable compared to a lot of Scotland. (I'm from the far north originally so have experienced plenty bad weather!)

Jobs in Dundee, Perth, St Andrews, over to Edinburgh possible, depends what you do?

Rents very reasonable compared to a lot of the country.

Yards - you may be able to find a private yard/farm/land to rent as there is not a lot of easy access commercial yards, you're looking at a fair drive possibly, depending on where you live.

Ideally you'd want your own transport to be able to get to venues and events.

Not much in the way of outlets that sell bedding, feed, tack etc but we manage. Straw and hay not a huge problem if you know a friendly farmer!

Reactions: TPO

spookypony

Visit site
Aberdeen pretty good: livery prices good, lots of comps/activity, lots of good hacking, and rent prices less mad than they used to be. As for jobs, it depends on the field...