Best insurance company for a yearling?

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
Hi I was just wondering whether anyone could recommend any insurance company for my new yearling filly. The main thing I would like cover for is colic surgery. At the moment I'm thinking that KBIS would be the best, anyone have any experience good or otherwise with them covering a youngster? Thanks in advance :)

maggiemoto

Visit site
Strongly recommend KBIS. Be careful with insurance companies; you get what you pay for. We used a different company for one of our mares; we had to make a claim which the insurance company agreed to cover and then they wriggled like mad when presented with the bill and left us with a £1200 bill to pay ourselves. Our Vets said that this particular company was renowned for this and our vets will not accept them in an insurance claim situation where they are paid directly by the company.

Hurricanelady

Visit site
Most of mine are with Petplan Equine with a low death of animal value as I've got too many to have accurate market value or loss of use on anything except one of them.

All insurance companies will only pay out on death of animal within very strict BEVA immediate destruction on humane grounds guidelines but Petplan in my experience offer flexible coverage, you can choose exactly what you need whether mostly just vets fees, loss of use, 3rd party liability, tack cover etc. If you've got BHS or other similar membership you'll usually find you already have 3rd party liability cover.

They do seem to pay out (as long as the claim is within their policy rules) without any undue problem - but you cannot ever get through to the people actually handling the claim, however the (mostly) ladies in the Equine section are good at raising queries on your behalf and providing an answer. They were unclear on what additional paperwork they wanted on one of my last claims for a yearling (operation + 2 weeks in hospital for a kick wound) but once I established exactly what it was and got it from the right vet they did pay out. Good job the hospital were very nice about waiting to be paid :-o! Their SLA to respond to emails is not good - 10 days (!!) so I don't bother emailing them anymore, just raise telephone queries through the Equine section.

My vets have also mentioned there is one notorious two lettered company that just will not pay out and should be steered very clear of :eek:

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Hi I was just wondering whether anyone could recommend any insurance company for my new yearling filly. The main thing I would like cover for is colic surgery. At the moment I'm thinking that KBIS would be the best, anyone have any experience good or otherwise with them covering a youngster? Thanks in advance :)

Yearling insurance is no different to other ages bar a veteran of course.
I have all mine with KBIS from foals to mares; all in the same basic group so the premium only goes up if you increase their value or add vet cover to it. They've always been very good for me, I wouldn't change to another company from choice as they're always very helpful and all being horsey themselves, actually know what you're on about unlike some others.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My yearling is with KBIS, £300 ish premium, low value on horse of £1000, which is all she would fetch on a good day, 5k vets.

Am about to find out if they are straightforward, having just sent in a claim following the yearling coming off worse than the gatepost she choose to beat up with her back leg.

Hopefully KBIS come up to expectations and get the vets paid pronto.

velv

Visit site
Hi I am insured with KBIS and I can't recommend them enough. My yearling filly had to be pts earlier this year due to colic. At the time the vet said if we didn't put her through surgery we wouldn't get any insurance. But she was too far gone and we didn't want to put her through it, so pts. She was insured for colic surgery and 3000 value. They paid the full 3000 and 200 for vets fees and sent a lovely "sorry for your loss" card.

foxy1

Visit site
My two are insured with petplan, my vet said they were a good company for paying out and the quote was cheapest.

maggiemoto

Visit site
Most of mine are with Petplan Equine with a low death of animal value as I've got too many to have accurate market value or loss of use on anything except one of them.

All insurance companies will only pay out on death of animal within very strict BEVA immediate destruction on humane grounds guidelines but Petplan in my experience offer flexible coverage, you can choose exactly what you need whether mostly just vets fees, loss of use, 3rd party liability, tack cover etc. If you've got BHS or other similar membership you'll usually find you already have 3rd party liability cover.

They do seem to pay out (as long as the claim is within their policy rules) without any undue problem - but you cannot ever get through to the people actually handling the claim, however the (mostly) ladies in the Equine section are good at raising queries on your behalf and providing an answer. They were unclear on what additional paperwork they wanted on one of my last claims for a yearling (operation + 2 weeks in hospital for a kick wound) but once I established exactly what it was and got it from the right vet they did pay out. Good job the hospital were very nice about waiting to be paid :-o! Their SLA to respond to emails is not good - 10 days (!!) so I don't bother emailing them anymore, just raise telephone queries through the Equine section.

My vets have also mentioned there is one notorious two lettered company that just will not pay out and should be steered very clear of :eek:

I suspect that this is the same company we had problems with - see my earlier post. Disgraceful: insurance is supposed to buy you peace of mind, not a nightmare. I was recovering from cancer at the time and their refusal to settle a legitimate claim was appalling. I just didn't have the strength at the time to fight them