Best insurance

Polos Mum

Visit site
Hi, having recently hit the limit on insurance for an arthritic dog I was looking for recommendations for lifetime policies for a new puppy.

The devil seems to be in the detail so I was hoping some of your experiences (good or bad) would save me some small print reading !!

QuobAsti

Visit site
What breed of dog do you have, and what kind of insurance are you looking for.

I currently have 5 spaniels which are covered as working dogs on insurance.
I have 1 with Kennel Club Lifetime and he will have to stay with them due to a previous claim.
The other 4 are insured with Agria Lifetime.

I have had to claim from both and have had no problems.
I believe KC insurance is through Agria anyway.

I don't really have any experience of other insurers for dogs.
I use NFU for my horse and never had any problems, so they might be worth a look.

Clodagh

Visit site
Again Agria but I needed their working cover. Much cheaper ones exist if you don't need the working bit. Petplan get good reviews, Black Cob might be a good person to ask, she probably knows who pays the vet claims most efficiently!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Petplan get good reviews, Black Cob might be a good person to ask, she probably knows who pays the vet claims most efficiently!

Put it this way, new pup is going on Petplan. :p

Bought by Many are an interesting newcomer, the only drawback I've encountered so far is dental cover which is restricted to their top level policy. Everything else checks out, so far.

Without being deliberately defamatory, E&L are cheap for a reason and have an annoying habit of hiding behind subsidiary trading names.

Moon River

Visit site
Put it this way, new pup is going on Petplan. :p

Bought by Many are an interesting newcomer, the only drawback I've encountered so far is dental cover which is restricted to their top level policy. Everything else checks out, so far.

Without being deliberately defamatory, E&L are cheap for a reason and have an annoying habit of hiding behind subsidiary trading names.

That's interesting, I'm looking at probably getting a puppy next year and did theoretical quotes this week for an idea on insurance prices, PetPlan were £49 a month, Bought by Many was £25 for what looked like comparable cover.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
The middle level of cover (7k vet fees) was only pennies difference between them for me. Petplan wins there as I can add staff and multi-pet discounts to that, plus get full continuity of cover as pup comes with four week cover note.

The big difference for me was for the top level cover, even considering discounts BBM was £8 cheaper a month for 15k vs 12k vet fees, plus they claim to cover all the wacky stuff (prostheses, stem cell therapy etc.)

cbmcts

Visit site
Try getting a quote from Coop - same underwriter as PetPlan and for me, they were literally a quarter of the price. Petplan £7k cover pa quoted £88 per month and TBH when you see the figures below I can understand why

Year 1 £20 per month with a 20% discount for buying online about £1k in claims
Year 2 £26 per month and a fraction under the £5k limit in claims
Year 3 £36 per month, large breed now 5 years old and with an ongoing autoimmune condition that will cost £1k pa in meds and that's if nothing else goes wrong!

They have also been really easy to deal with paying up within 10 days normally. My vets don't claim direct from anyone but other vets might be happy too?

satinbaze

Visit site
I have used “lifetime pet cover” and been VERY happy with them. Same type of cover as top pet plan at nearly half the price and they will insure older dogs and pre existing conditions that haven’t had a claim in 2 years.
They are very quick to pay up and no quibbles 😁