Best internal boarding for wooden stable

Matafleur

Visit site
I have a couple of old fashioned wooden stables that I want to start using this year. They are basically solid but the internal boarding is either missing or damaged.

What do people usually use to board out the inside of stables? I would be using them for one well mannered horse and one small pony so they don't have to withstand stable wreckers. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money as I may not be able to use them long term.

Is marine ply usually the thing? I have also seen some recycled plastic boarding that I like the look of but I don't know if this would work out to be very expensive.

turnbuckle

Visit site
Oak T&G is money no object but sounds like it is.

Stock board etc is excellent, but OSB cheaper. And safer than ply, ply will splinter if kiciked through, OSB kinda just gets a hole in it!

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
Regardless what they say - any kind of OSB Sterling board isn't waterproof. Some of the damn stuff goes soggy in fog. So definately marine ply would be my choice 18mm thick - the standard sheets are 2400mm x 1200mm but beware - there are many different manufacturers and qualities - compare prices and look for a stamp in one corner WBP Water & Boil Proof - none of the others will stand much hoss wee!

hobo

Visit site
Thick stockboard from your local farm store is as good as anything and easy to work with and can never rot or splinter.

Mike007

Visit site
Marine ply is a total waste of money.Far eastern ply will be just as good but a third of the price. Oak boards are my preference and cheaper than marine ply.

turnbuckle

Visit site
OSB can be sealed with bitumen paint or loads of varnish, just remember to do the cut edge before you put it up.
May also be worth getting a quote for keruing T&G, ultra tough timber used for lorry floors