Best Joint Supplement???

teabagtoyota

Visit site
I realise this has probably been asked 100's of times before but can't find any relevant posts!!!

I need to get a good joint supplement for my 18hh 13yo heavyweight warmblood who has never had issues or lameness before, for the past 3 weeks he is defo sore on offside hind, vet has been out and done thorough examination, he cannot pinpoint anything, flexion test on said leg makes him hopping, flexion test on opposite leg lame for two strides then evens out to look sound on both so causing same pain on opposite leg. He has to continue with field rest but start giving him danolin for next two weeks and if better bring gradually back into work as vet thinks it may be bone spavin……He is booked in for thermal imaging and if no sign of improvement etc he will go in for X-rays and full lameness work up, I have never fed joint supplants before as never needed, he is not overly worked and goes out to comet maybe once a month and rest of time is either hacking or horse walker so is fit, any advice or suggestions welcome, vet has recommended Cortaflex then moving onto veterinary supplements if no improvement….I also think at his age he could possibly do with a good supplement now and is on Spillers senior balancer. I have also been given a loan of a Microvet to start him with…

Last edited:

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Whichever supplement you go for, there are 3 most important ingredients that need to be in them: MSM, chondroitine and glucosamine.
I personally use aloe based products, both for myself and my horses/dogs.

Woody Le Bois

Visit site
I use naf superflex for my 8 year old eventer. I swear it makes a huge difference (makes him more supple). And i definitely see the difference if i stop giving it to him. I agree with martlin re the ingredients (the naf supplements contains all of the above).

YasandCrystal

Visit site
If you even think there is a possibility it could be arthritic changes I would go for the turmeric, oil and pepper regime. If you join the Turmeric User Group all the info is on there, works fab for my oldie, another mare I have with ringbone and my WB with SI dysfunction. Turmeric is a very powerful anti oxidant. You need to use a cold pressed oil like micronised linseed or virgin coconut or olive oil and freshly ground black pepper to make the turmeric bio available in the gut.