BEST JOINT SUPPS FOR HIP DYSPLASIA

liveryblues

Visit site
Hi all, Can I have your recommendations... Do I get an all round supp like glucosimine/msm or is there something specific that works better?
My yound lab (18 months) developed a slight limp ( not surprising considering the rough & tumble with his Rhodesian sidekick)
He has some muscle wastage on limpy leg so vet thinks Hip dysplasia :(
recommendations greatly appreciated :)

liveryblues

Visit site
Hi Jools, Was at vets yest. Vet does not want to operate atm. he wants to see wether he responds well with anti flams & restriced exersise. I am being referred for physio.
In the meantime I just want to do all I can. Vets closed now, so thought I ask for recommendations for a good all round joint supp:)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Ask for an x ray to clarify or the diagnosis is pointless.

Hydrotherapy is good, best exercise probably. Limit but don't stop exercising as the hip needs good muscle supporting it.

Cartrophen injections (four weeks, one jab per week) works for some but not all dogs.

Occasional chicken wings will provide natural chondroitin and glucosamine or make your own using human grade tablets. Add in turmeric, MSM for a good strong suplement. Green lipped mussel is excellent, I find. Pooch and Mutt make Mobile Bones that contains MSM and glucosamine (but to chondroitin). I didn't find it made a difference to my HD dog, but some people rave.

Don't play fetch as the sudden turns, skidding stops or leaping up for a ball/frisbee are really bad for the hips.

jools123

Visit site
i agree on both counts above 1) get a confirmed diagnosis and two dont stop exercise but control it.
maybe lead walking, if your dog has muscle wastage it wont improve by stopping exercise BUT saying all this your vet has seen the dog we have not:)

Goose07

New User
Visit site
My Stafford has elbow displaysia. He had the X-rays, all the supplements and the injections and they didn't work. He was being put forward for an actual operation till my vet suggested he be moved onto Hill J/D mobility food. It is lower calorie as he is less active but he really likes it.. and it works. You can buy it normally through your vet or online via MedicAnimal. This was the last chance before the operation so I was really glad that it worked!

Wildspirit

Visit site
Hi all, Can I have your recommendations... Do I get an all round supp like glucosimine/msm or is there something specific that works better?
My yound lab (18 months) developed a slight limp ( not surprising considering the rough & tumble with his Rhodesian sidekick)
He has some muscle wastage on limpy leg so vet thinks Hip dysplasia :(
recommendations greatly appreciated :)

Our lab is just turning 8 months and walks with a real swagger, her parents were both clear but we suspect theres something not right with the hips, we are waiting until shes near enough fully grown (about 18months) to see if it evens out and if not consider x-raying to check how bad the subluxation is. She's currently on a glucosamine 1/2 human tablet a day just the stuff you get from the supermarket/holland and barrets etc. just be careful that there arent any EXTRA ingredients in there that your dog might react to (might be worth just wafting the lable infront of your vet). But any glucosamine, chondroitin and selenium combination should help a little. Another thing to consider with muscle wastage is of course physio (you can do some exercises at home or swimming is also really good or myotherapy (muscle therapy, its a bit like sports massage and works right into the muscle to relieve tension, obvious if he is tight in one leg hes going to hold it which will upset the muscle in that leg, his back and the other leg.) However the issue with hip dysplasia is going to be that unless the socket can be reformed and the leg pinned even physio to try and help the muscles in his leg are going to be causing the luxation of the joint and so it is going to be degenerative. Also watch that he doesnt jump up on things too much as this will mean his whole body weight is on the hind which you dont want.

Sorry for the essay! I hope that helps :)

liveryblues

Visit site
Thanks for all your comments. I was a little surprised that the vet didn't want to xray atm?
I have been reffered for physio so am awaiting contact! I dont live to far from the sea so beach walks in the sea are on the cards!.
I have been researching online and a lot of good recommendations for green lipped muscle came up so have been to Holland & Barrett :) I also bought Rosehip, devils claw, glucosamine, codliver oil. I am not planning on giving all these together but wanted to have them at home to experiment over the coming months. I do not want him on metacam long term because of the associated risks.
He is on strict lead exercise only but he is a very active dog. I cannot stop him jumping up on the settee or going up the stairs etc. I have read that stairs are good for strengthening the weaker leg. also sit to stand( apparently having to push of from sitting position to stand is a very good strengthening exercise) He lives for chasing a ball but obviously that is out of the question now.
I did wonder if a could find a small weight (think velcro band with weight like humans use) to put around his ankle when i am lead walking him to help him to work that leg... I will speak to physio about this when I see her.
I am still not sure why the vet has decided not to xray? He is insured and even if he wasn't I always pay my bills! Will investigate this.
After all my research and after the vet had seen him it does point towards HP but as some of you have pointed out... without conformation It could be anything. (slight bit of hope it could be something else but no idea what?)
Thanks for your input so far..... :)
Edited to add he is fed a raw diet so chicken bits/carcasses are always in the house! Want to keep his feed treatment/as natural as is possible. I rehomed him and his previous owner said a lot processed food upset him( but she still fed it?). I feed all mine raw and from day one he has thrived on it :) No upsets :)

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My dog's lameness was actually due to a back issue. Stair gate will stop him going up the stairs - bit of determination and firmness will stop him going on the sofa :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My dog's lameness was actually due to a back issue. Stair gate will stop him going up the stairs - bit of determination and firmness will stop him going on the sofa :)

This ^^ Really bad for hips to do either.

Meant to say that Simplysupplements (online) do constant two for one on green lipped mussel.

liveryblues

Visit site
I think I deffo need to get to the bottom of this with a proper diagnosis. Although I have heard one or two clicks in the evening and he is slightly stiffer in the eve (after lying down) and he has definitely been guarding that leg as there is less muscle. He sits straight, walks straight, never hesitates to do anything and doesn't bunny hop. In so many instances I am reading about online, the dogs are reluctant to walk, or climb stairs, stop when walking/ sit down. Click an awful lot?
I am hoping that rather than HD, he may just have some joint laxity without degeneration? or an old injury (fracture if thats possible? strain?) Anyway will be phoning the vets AM to get him booked in for Xrays.
If it is HD then it stands to reason without initial xrays there can be no way of knowing for sure. Also there will be know way of knowing over time if it has improved/detetiorated etc!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Possibly ask for a referral to a vet who knows how to do a proper x ray too! Mine was outrageously awful and the vet didn't even lie the dog straight so it's almost impossible to rate. :(

Legs should be blocked so you don't get the impression the hips are worse than they are, if you're not happy with the plate, ask for another. You don't want to be restricting him or treating for the wrong thing.

liveryblues

Visit site
Thanks for the simply supplements info! What a fab website. I have just spent a small fortune in Holland & Barrett! I could of saved money and would of got BOGOFF on everything I bought!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Mine has hip dysplasia, and is having the cartrophen injections everys 3 months after the initial once a week for 4 weeks start up. I would be interested to see what supplements I can feed him too. I am trying to limit the amount he goes up stairs, but cannot close off stairway at the bottom, only at the top (due to width of stairs). I would like to limit him going on the sofa, but unfortunately I cannot control what he does when I go out, bad dog :rolleyes:

I still travel him in the car though, which I can't really stop, and I do play some ball games with him, but not a lot - I tend to go for more tug games than throwing now. That said, mine is not lame atm following the injections, but I will look at supplements for him too on that website :)

liveryblues

Visit site
Mine has hip dysplasia, and is having the cartrophen injections everys 3 months after the initial once a week for 4 weeks start up. I would be interested to see what supplements I can feed him too. I am trying to limit the amount he goes up stairs, but cannot close off stairway at the bottom, only at the top (due to width of stairs). I would like to limit him going on the sofa, but unfortunately I cannot control what he does when I go out, bad dog :rolleyes:

I still travel him in the car though, which I can't really stop, and I do play some ball games with him, but not a lot - I tend to go for more tug games than throwing now. That said, mine is not lame atm following the injections, but I will look at supplements for him too on that website :)

If it helps my extensive weekend research has so far found... Green lipped muscle extract is highly recommended for joint health, along with, glucosamine & chrondoitin, Vitamin C, devils claw & rosehips. It seems that most stick to just one or possibly two supplements? I have no idea if giving them all is counter productive or not!
Hydrotherapy seems to be extremely effective in strengthening & building lost muscle as well as maintaining better mobility & fitness :) (according to everything I have read so far)

Lady La La

Visit site
This ^^ Really bad for hips to do either

I didn't know that. My dog has hip dysplasia and I have been letting him do both :(

In terms of the OP, my vet referred my dog for hydro and physio, prescribed him anti inflammatory/pain killers and told me to initially limit his exercise, before starting to build it up up again along side the swimming to help him gain some muscle where he doesn't have much. He's now off the pain killers, and just has a joint supplement prescribed to him by the vets. I can't off hand remember the name of it, but I'll have a look at home. It costs about 90 quid a bottle, but the vets prescribe it meaning I can claim it back on his insurance.
My dog is only 2 though, and the vet didn't consider his HD bad enough to warrant an operation just yet. He seems to be doing OK, though he has good days and bad days.

liveryblues

Visit site
I have just spoken at length to the Physio recommended by my vet. She says stairs are not bad but it does depend on how they go up and down.
She uses stairs a lot to build muscle but they do need to push from behind and NOT pull themselves up with their front end.
I will limit him as much as is possible until she assesses him next week. Then she will show me how to get him to use his back end :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Trouble with Mobile Bones is that although it contains glucosamine, it doesn't contain chondroitin, which I think you need for the glucosamine to activate correctly. They're an ethical company and most chondroitin in the UK is sourced from farmed chicken or shark skeletons.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Thanks liveryblues, I will look into those. we're actually going to the vets first thing so that the vet can see if his leg needs stitches after he damaged it whilst being left in the house today, no idea how.

Can anyone suggest how I get my dog in the car, if its bad for hips, I cannot lift the brute!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
My mum does have a folding ramp, that she doesn't use so I might use that, sadly car really doesn't have enough room for dog and ramp so might just have to use it for leaving home! TBH he's not lame on it, and to me looks quite good, and I want to speak to my vets about it, as I only know of it from the rescue vets, and haven't seen the xrays etc.

piarevigliono

New User
Visit site
Trouble with Mobile Bones is that although it contains glucosamine, it doesn't contain chondroitin, which I think you need for the glucosamine to activate correctly. They're an ethical company and most chondroitin in the UK is sourced from farmed chicken or shark skeletons.

Check this website http://www.chondropaw.com . They are big with dog hip dysplasia and arthritis. Is all natural and seems like it really works. Their website said that Chondropaw is the canine version of Chondropower 2500 they used on horses for more than 15 years chondropower website: http://www.immuvet.com