Best leather half chaps?

JoD

New User
Visit site
Hello,

I'm wondering if you can all give your recommendations on leather half chaps? The zip has broken on one of my Ariats - and the cobbler has quoted me £45 to repair. I'm unsure if I should just cut my losses and go and buy another pair - as you can get them for £60-70ish online...

I want a black pair that are smart enough to compete in (I don't compete enough to warrant buying new long boots at the moment!)

So any thoughts on:
- Do Ariat zips generally break easily - or have I been unlucky (chaps aren't old enough to have broken - they're in really good nick; but are too old to return)
- What leather half chaps do you have - any recommendations please?

becca1305

Visit site
I did have a pair of ariat chaps & the zip also went on one of mine. I use tredstep now & find they look nice/ last well but I am limited as to brands I can try as I have long legs.

becca1305

Visit site
Those that rate dy'on where do you buy from please? Ive had a look and they look lovely and do my size but struggling to find anywhere in the UK that stocks the classic/ original style.

lillie07

Visit site
Sederholme Selected sell Dy'on chaps- she has a trade stand at loads of shows or is based in the midlands somewhere near Addington. She was very helpful when I was trying to get a bridle sorted!

Chocy

Visit site
FfionWinnie- yes go for a 15" if they have a wee bit of elastic in them. If no elastic I'd go up a size cos with jods/socks on they can b v tight 2 do up without elastic help!
I vote for tredsteps luv mine & come in so many sizes I even found ones 2 fit my v short fat Calfs!!

Luci07

Visit site
Tredstep. Very hard wearing, biggest variety of sizes which is great for me as have long calves. Alternatively hunt around £45 sounds expensive, think I paid £30 and I am in Surrey!

JoD

New User
Visit site
Thanks all for the recommendations! I am potentially going to buy some from someone on the forum, but if not will look into Tredsteps as they sound like they have a big fanclub!

Luci07: Where did you get yours fixed? - I'm also Surrey (near Epsom) and not sure where to go, as I'm not originally from the area and don't know the tack shops/cobblers round here?

Solo1

Visit site
Another vote for tredsteps! Got mine for a tenner off ebay, best bargain ever! 4 years old, worn daily, and still going strong :)

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Those that rate dy'on where do you buy from please? Ive had a look and they look lovely and do my size but struggling to find anywhere in the UK that stocks the classic/ original style.

Try Buckaroo at Vale View. If they do not have your size try on the nearest to get an idea of fit then Nicola will order in for you. Weston Lawns also sell Dy'on half chaps.