Best Long-Term Fly Repellent?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Just thinking ahead to summer really and how to repel the flies from our four horses/ponies. We have a small lake in our field and there are often quite a lot of bugs. I was thinking to use Deosect this year but I think there are more options nowadays and that some of you use something designed for cattle which works out more cost-effective?

Our little herd live with my parents who feed and care for them twice a day, but they are a bit older and applying fly repellent to all four steeds on the days I don't go myself would be tricky for them. Would be easier for me to do something every month or so.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Following with interest. I have yet to find anything that works for more than five minutes and i dont like using fly rugs when its hot, its not fair on them IMO so just use fly masks and sprays.

A friend puts a few drops of something on her horses bums which she swears by but i cant think what it is and i think its for cattle? I'll have to ask her.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Fly rugs work a majority of the time. I do detach the neck piece if it is especially hot and this helps, or send him out without it on those few days. The number of days the rug is useful is far more than the days it can be used, but depends on your horses and climate.

I tried the spot on stuff before, and it gave my horse huge welts. He's a bit sensitive anyway, but if you try that stuff, just test it in one spot first.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
What about fly sheets?

Not against the idea in principle, but ours have sweated in them when I have used them previously so abandoned that idea. We also have two geldings who are extremely playful, including rearing, and I don't quite trust them in rugs somehow! The flies aren't so awful that we haven't coped with regular fly spray/gel before but just thought something long-term might be more convenient.

Following with interest. I have yet to find anything that works for more than five minutes and i dont like using fly rugs when its hot, its not fair on them IMO so just use fly masks and sprays.

A friend puts a few drops of something on her horses bums which she swears by but i cant think what it is and i think its for cattle? I'll have to ask her.

That's what I was thinking of too I think! Might be Coopers spot on? But only for horses with prescription.

Fly rugs work a majority of the time. I do detach the neck piece if it is especially hot and this helps, or send him out without it on those few days. The number of days the rug is useful is far more than the days it can be used, but depends on your horses and climate.

I tried the spot on stuff before, and it gave my horse huge welts. He's a bit sensitive anyway, but if you try that stuff, just test it in one spot first.

Good point about patch-testing. I have used Deosect before for lice (ughhhh) and did test first then, but would do it again if I go down that route. It's actually not as bad price-wise as I was thinking now that I've done some maths, but I feel like there are other options.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I do put some gel made by Leovet on my horses underside and that works quite well. So that might work too. The Leovet sprays aren't bad and Ultrashield (black bottle) by Absorbine is decent too.

The only fly sheet I will use is a Rambo since they fit and are quite durable. However, they're a bit pricey when you've got to outfit multiple horses.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Blurb from Tri Tech Farnam?

Do not use directly on the horse or other animals or their clothing/rugs.

Am i missing something?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

Am i missing something?
Not missing anything :)
It's not licenced for direct contact use here in the UK, its imported from the USA where it has passed all licencing.
I've been using it for about 4 years now, a nearly 1 litre bottle lasts at least a full summer on my bigger one. I did do patch testing 1st and advise anyone else to do the same.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

Am i missing something?

AFAIK it’s not licensed for use as a spray directly on horses in this country but is elsewhere. Deosect has practically the same active ingredients as do some of the fly-rugs.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
As an extra note they are toxic to other insects such as bees and toxic to cats so be extremely careful using them. Never leave an impregnated rug where a cat could sleep on it and be extremely careful disposing of protective gloves and any spillages.

meleeka

Visit site
I use Deosect as my cob also gets a lot of ticks which it prevents. I believe it’s the same ingredient as Tritech. I find it very cost effective and a bottle lasts me all summer. I sponge it on.

Runaground

Visit site
Definitely tri tec 14 look up how best to apply on a US website as it makes a difference. Lasts week or 10 days for me and that includes all the lovely bitey things in the new forest in even crab flies.

Kaylum

Visit site
just make my own and the whole yard uses it. A few drops of citronella in a spray bottle of water. Works perfectly. Always skin test first.

autumn7

Visit site
And Tri Tec 14 here too. I slightly water it down in the bottle and spray it on (but sponge on faces). On initial application, after a few days it's built up enough to last a good week or so if weather is dry. Fabulous stuff. I've used it for several years now.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
My vet gave me "coopers spot on" specifically for ticks, but it did a great job as a general fly repellent as well. But one of the ponies did lose a small patch of hair after the treatment. (FYI I don't think it's officially licensed for horses, so worth discussing with your own vet)

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Tri Tec certainly seems to have a lot of fans, so am definitely going to look at that. It is Coopers Spot On I was thinking of as the option designed for cattle and remember seeing another post about that but I'd never even heard of Tri Tec. Our two bigguns wear fly masks too but the ponies are not mask fans. My mare got a few nasty bites on her belly last summer and really want to be proactive about avoiding that this year.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Tri Tec certainly seems to have a lot of fans, so am definitely going to look at that. It is Coopers Spot On I was thinking of as the option designed for cattle and remember seeing another post about that but I'd never even heard of Tri Tec. Our two bigguns wear fly masks too but the ponies are not mask fans. My mare got a few nasty bites on her belly last summer and really want to be proactive about avoiding that this year.
I used to rate Coopers Fly+ which was brilliant and also great for dealing with lice too, it went off the shelves about 4 or 5 years ago, again due to licencing issues. I still have 1 unopened bottle...... no idea on shelf life tho.
Hence my shift over to Tritec :)