Best management for tear in DDFT

paddi22

Visit site
Long story, but have ended up three weeks ago rehabbing a horse with a significant longitudinal tear of the lateral (outside) border of the deep digital flexor tendon and that had an annual ligament op. Horse is sound currently and vet advised to work it as a low level and see what it is comfortable with. Horse is 7. We cannot get info of past ridden work or when lameness occurred. Horse came sound once remedial shoes came off and it was turned away for a year. Currently barefoot and sound and has hacked and done flatwork with no issue or heat in legs last few weeks.

I am working with a physio on a rehab programme but would love any tips or tricks people have to help these kind of injuries. A few people mentioned ice vibes. has anyone experience with his kind of injury and what would help in any way?

sam72431

Visit site
Hey I have rehabbed a horse with two ddft tears in the fetlock area as well as annular ligament thickening and manica flexoria removal. I found the ice vibe boots to be an absolute life saver and I used them twice a day if not more. I would put them on before hand walking and then with ice afterwards. I kept her bandaged unless hand walking and do so even now as otherwise she did get stiff in the winter. As boring as it sounds the best thing was time it’s a long slow journey but you will get there. I’m guessing you are on box rest? Feel free to pm me for a chat or any questions I know how lonely it can be. Good luck!

Bob notacob

Visit site
On advice from a rather good trainer I bought an infrared thermometer scanner thing to monitor local temperature compared with the sound leg . Its the contrast thats important rather than the actual reading . Also with hairy arsed irish draughts ,keeping both legs clipped is important . The trainer showed me his records of his horses ,scanned twice a day with meticulous notes of work . A revelation.

paddi22

Visit site
On advice from a rather good trainer I bought an infrared thermometer scanner thing to monitor local temperature compared with the sound leg . Its the contrast thats important rather than the actual reading . Also with hairy arsed irish draughts ,keeping both legs clipped is important . The trainer showed me his records of his horses ,scanned twice a day with meticulous notes of work . A revelation.

oh that's very clever! what a great idea.

Birker2020

Visit site
A few people mentioned ice vibes. has anyone experience with his kind of injury and what would help in any way?
It may have been me who was one who mentioned IceVibe. I've used it lots of times for rehabbing and the vet has said he thinks it has really helped.

Here is a really good link on FAQ's https://www.uberhorse.co.nz/pages/ice-vibe-user-guide

and if you need further proof of their effectiveness here is a scan photo of before and after using IceVibe in conjunction with LW Ultrasound on my horse with a check ligament injury. https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...ly-following-a-tendon-ligament-injury.800332/

The two main reasons I bought them are due to:
  1. The idea being that you can put the boots on prior to exercise with just the vibration setting to create a massaging effect to stimulate the blood flow - when blood flow is increased tendons and ligaments become more elastic which can help to prevent damage.
  2. Rehab of soft tissue injury. The boots are designed to cool the tissue via the cold packs and slow down the blood flow to reduce inflammation. When combined with the massage effect of the vibration the blood flow is not completely restricted and this allows oxygen to be maintained to tired and damaged tissue allowing for a better recovery.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
Have you discussed PRP and laser with your vet. PRP possibly not an option but G4 laser (or even G3b) might be worth considering in addition to the controlled walking

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Mine had a hematoma on his DDFT (hindleg) and I used my Ice Vibe boots. No idea if they helped vs a plain ice boot, but they didn't harm.

That's really interesting!

sam72431

Visit site
I honestly swear by the ice vibes, it meant that the infection in my mares tendon sheath was picked up early. I also used it all through the hand walking and also now before I ride and afterwards as well they are worth their weight in gold!