Best mate removing his muzzle !

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
This has happened twice now - complete removal and muzzle found in the middle of the field. I think the pony in question is very clever, but that doesn't help with my lad's weight control ;)

If I plait his forelock over the muzzle, won't that hurt Shy when the muzzle is being pulled ? Any other suggestion, short of having to tie it to a headcollar ?

Anyone else dealt with this problem ? They are truly best mates and inseperable in the field, so parting them isn't really an option, and an electric fence would just be walked through.

Gotta love ponies, eh !

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Ah right, thank you. I think I'll give that a try. It's one thing your pony accepting his fate with a muzzle, but quite another when his mate doesn't. I wonder if he takes it off so my lad can groom him properly ?

kittyb

Visit site
Ah right, thank you. I think I'll give that a try. It's one thing your pony accepting his fate with a muzzle, but quite another when his mate doesn't. I wonder if he takes it off so my lad can groom him properly ?

In my boys case it seems to be a form of game...

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I think it might be tbh - this other pony is a cracker ! Amazing isn't it :D

At least it was on tonight. Hopefully it's going to be a part time game.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Could you put a muzzle on the other one too for a few days, til he realises he can't do it anymore? Worked with ours. (and yes it was very much a game, which evolved to include undoing rugs etc!) Also taping over the Velcro helped (duct tape), it still snapped under real pressure, but didn't fall off, get pulled off as easily.

RubysGold

Visit site
The fly mask over the top is a good idea
last year Jimmy kept losing his overnight. I think his mate was taking it off him.
I got vetwrap and just wrapped it round the Velcro bit so there was nothing to grip to pull it off

PeeGee

Visit site
My haffie can remove his own unfortunately. I've tried everything bar duct taping his mouth shut!lol
I am eagerly awaiting delivery of a greenguard muzzle in the vain hope it will stay on, some say they are harder to remove.
Last year he had an assistant, an old thoroughbred, who was far too clever- he could undo knots and door bolts etc. Sadly he is no longer with us but he obviously passed on some of his skills to Oakley.