Best methods for stopping rub marks on clipped horse?

emilylou

Visit site
After my ride this morning I dismounted to find rub marks on my horses sides where my legs had been. My legs are quite still and I was wearing clean half chaps, has never happened before and keen to avoid it getting any worse. I covered affected areas in sudocrem. He has never suffered with sensitive skin before but have changed to a sheepskin girth since he has been fully clipped as was getting girthy, so he is definitely more sensitive now he is clipped. Had his clip before Christmas and this is the first time he had rub marks and the ride was no longer than usual.

Tips to prevent this happening again?

rosiesowner

Visit site
On my sensitive mare I use the NAF shine on spray on the places she might rub from rugs to slick her hair (but not in the gross slippy way showshine type products do). It works! Plus it smells delicious too :)

emilylou

Visit site
I've seen those and they look good, but as its the first time this has happened I wanted to see if there were any other ways to manage it before I invest. He is a hardy ISH and isnt usually so senstive!

Otherwise

Visit site
In the future you could leave a square where your leg sits unclipped to offer a bit more protection though you might still face the same problem when his coat changes. If not the belly bands work, horze do one for under £50 and there's one on kramer for £35.

Theocat

Visit site
It's likely to be the coat change - in some horses the hair just seems to get very fragile at this time of year. Some qill wnd up with bald patches in all sorts of places.

If you can bear to ignore it, they'll disappear as the new coat comes in.

Keelymae1996

New User
Visit site
Have also got this problem! Owned my horse for 4 years and all of a sudden getting a rub mark on the left side over the past week! Never had anything like this before. What did you do to help this? Did anything work?