Best none fatty/high energy feeds for shiny coats?

EdithSparrow

Visit site
Im looking to start showing my mare in the summer and i want to add something to her feed that will enhance her coat and give it a good shine but most of the supplements iv been looking at are quite fatty and high in energy and shes already a bit of a barrel and trust me when i say she need no more energy aha. Shes currently on happy hoof pony nuts and stroppy mare and i was wondering if any one has suggestions on what i can try.
Thanks

PorkChop

Visit site
For coat shine I would add a wee bit of micronised linseed to her feed - I realise it is often promoted for putting on weight, but my fatties all get a small amount, not much needed to improve the coat.

For energy, I would just get her fitter tbh. The only thing I have used that has pepped them up a bit without putting weight on is TopSpec Racing Balancer. Any cereal you feed would just be converted to fat!

Ormsweird

Visit site
I use brewers yeast and my cob currently glows on it. His coat has improved dramatically since he started on it.

Shay

Visit site
Another one for micronised linseed. We used to only feed it - in relatively large amounts - for weight gain but I decided to put the "lives on air" cob on it to see if it helped his coat and a small amount has made a massive difference - without any noticeable weight gain. In fact he's come out of winter a bit lean which is ideal!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would change the feed completely happy hoof has molasses in it and most pony nuts are full of rubbish with molasses added which could be why she is hyper and it also won't help with her weight, switch to a non molassed chaff and just add some micronised linseed if you want her to have something with the chaff unmolassed sugar beet would be better.