Best OTC calmer

NeoRider

Visit site
Hi All

Can you give me any recommendations for over the counter calmers?

Currently on Dodson & horrell placid with no effects. It’s for a young feisty gelding to hopefully take the edge off his anxiety and stressy behaviour whilst we work on groundwork & training.

Thanks

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My bonkers cart horse is a problem at the moment and yesterdays weather turned him borderline dangerous. Calmex and Zen was recommended to me by a very respected equine vet. I have used Calmex before on a box resting competition horse and it did work.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Valerian works. I wouldn't bother with anything that is allowed for competing, if there was proof it worked it would be banned.

Often taking things away from the diet is quite effective, if he's on any feed have you tried stopping it?

Supplements like magnesium and salt can also work if there is a deficiency / imbalance in the diet.

little_critter

Visit site
James Hart V Calm ( valerian)
I’m looking into trying this. Would it be possible to give to a horse just before work (ie about 30 minutes before) without putting it in feed? I’m thinking could I soak some treats in it or is it a strong taste and needs a feed to hide it?
I ask because I’m in full livery so don’t have the ability to tinker with my horses feed but if i could somehow feed it to him as a pre-ride treat then that would be doable.
It’s either that or I take a scoop of his chaff home with me and make up mini valerian feeds for him that I can give pre-ride

charlotte0916

Visit site
I’m pretty sceptical about calmers but tried mine on premier performance premier calm and it has made a difference. I tried taking her off it and our YO said we may have to leave as she was so wild ? Significantly better since she’s back on so staying on!

rextherobber

Visit site
I’m looking into trying this. Would it be possible to give to a horse just before work (ie about 30 minutes before) without putting it in feed? I’m thinking could I soak some treats in it or is it a strong taste and needs a feed to hide it?
I ask because I’m in full livery so don’t have the ability to tinker with my horses feed but if i could somehow feed it to him as a pre-ride treat then that would be doable.
It’s either that or I take a scoop of his chaff home with me and make up mini valerian feeds for him that I can give pre-ride
Yes, that's exactly what I do , just put a few grass pellets in a scoop with the valerian liquid, I don't think it smells or tastes particularly, one of mine is super suspicious, but eats it no problems. It's only a tiny amount of calmer, it coats the treats (or whatever) rather than is soaked in it.

Bernster

Visit site
Interesting on the premier performance supplement. That looks like a powdered daily version of their calming cookies, which I have used and seem to have helped. I’ll squirrel that one away in case we need a bit more than the cookies, for very exciting activities!

cauda equina

Visit site

I found V Calm to have a strong, bitter taste
You might have to be quite creative with the feeds

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I’ve found the premier performance one to be good. Pepsi has it daily at the maintenance dose, he’s one of life’s sensitive worriers, and it definitely helps.

Since I started him on it several people have commented on him being more relaxed, and I can tell when it’s run out. It’s not a magic fix, but it seems to help him so I’m ok with that.

I also spoke to the lady who runs the company and you can use the cookies or an extra dose of powder alongside the standard dose if you need a bit extra.