Best overreach boots for turnout

Louby

Visit site
I have a serial shoe puller. She is short coupled, leggy and young and loves nothing more than messing about in the field. Going barefoot isnt an option as per veterinary advice for a current injury, so Im looking for ideas to try and keep them on. She had a couple of nasty overreaches prior to being shod, so has always worn O/R boots. Ive found doubling the rubber ones has worked better than one pair but wondered if theres any really good ones out there please as Im going through loads. Ones that dont rub if left on for long periods.
Just to add my farrier works hard to try and help and she has improved but I think her conformation and young mind just doesnt help things.
Thanks for any replies

dixie

Visit site
I've found the Dalmar ones fit the best - unfortunately they are eye wateringly expensive.

My horse was a serial shoe puller when I got him in October but keeping him apart from the others, so less playing, and putting over-reach boots on have helped enormously. Plus feeding hoof supplements plus cornucresent.
I've bought several pairs of cheaper over reach boots including Woof Wear but none of them fit as well as the Dalmar ones, which I had an old pair of in the cupboard. They seem to sit nicely around his hoof instead of perched above like the others - think its because its a nice round shape.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I use cheapo rubber Velcro ones. As above in silly colours so they show up easily but *touch wood the horse in question has actually not lost any yet!

Northern Hare

Visit site
Have you looked at ShoeSecures - you'll find them via Google?

My horse went through a phase of pulling off his (heart bar) shoes in the field and I was getting bored of multi-buying over reach boots. However, for some reason (fingers crossed!) he's grown bored of pulling his shoes off, so I didn't get any further with ordering the ShoeSecures - so I'm afraid I can't recommend them, but it's maybe worth checking them out.

Last edited:

teddypops

Visit site
I use the professionals choice neoprene ones. They very rarely come off. Any others I have to replace at least once daily!

Louby

Visit site
Thank you for your replies, she is technically 5, although not 5 yet lol, shes currently out in the day, in at night, although Im thinking of changing that to either 24/7 or in during the day, in a bid to stop her galloping like a mad woman to her friends each morning. Shes supposed to be taking it easy :( We have extremely good grass and although shes not the lami stereotype, it is still a worry, hence being a bit iffy about being out 24/7.

She has the velcro rubber ones, 2 pairs ha ha, one large, then XL over the top.

Those who use neoprene.... Ive got some but worry if she stands on them, they wont give like rubber?? Probably a very silly thought with over 500kg stepping on it lol.