Best pelleted barefoot friendly minerals?

alibali

Visit site
Suggestions as per above please, must be palatable, pony now on Prascend and refusing Pro-mineral powder mixed in Meadow Magic grass nuts. Thanks

Yardbird

Visit site
My cob is not keen on pro mineral, he will eat it in 2 scoops of dengi good doer left in the stable overnight . He will eat advance complete ,which can be pelleted ,but it is so much more expensive and has a lot in it that he probably does not need. Wish there was a simple, palatable mineral supplement, but i expect ground up metal just does not taste good.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Equimins Advance Complete. It worked out the cheapest price for the best spec. The only thing it might be slightly lacking in is magnesium, but I've never added extra and its been fine. Its made a dramatic difference to my mares feet, much more so than pro mineral did.

vhf

Visit site
I rate the Equimins one too.
My REALLY fussy mare will eat it, even if given from the hand, but I did quite literally put 2 pellets in her feeds the first day, 4 the second... This is a horse who nearly fell over reversing away from her bucket when I put garlic in it once... It has been the making of my one I struggled to get the right supplement for (feet and skin mostly).

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
equimins, though if he will eat loose magnesium I would add some of that too as the mag level is not particularly high, especially one who is metabolic.
They will send samples.
Also their powder you feed much less I think that you do of the other powder alternatives.

Is the prascend new addition?

alibali

Visit site
Thanks all.

Ester yes the Prascend started in April. Had no issue with him before that, he would eat loads of minerals in a small feed before that. Had been hoping the issue would pass once he became used to the Prascend but that doesn't seem to be happening. He won't even touch plain Meadow Magic now! Or straight grass chop. The other alternative is cheap pony nuts soaked in small quantity laced with the minerals I guess.

Yardbird - fair point about the palatability of ground up metal 😂

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
soaked pony nuts are often a winner. It took ages to find stuff Frank would eat which is when he started on the agrobs, but I still used to steal some of a friends pure feeds when I had antibiotics he definitely needed to eat!

Leo Walker

Visit site
equimins, though if he will eat loose magnesium I would add some of that too as the mag level is not particularly high, especially one who is metabolic.
They will send samples.
Also their powder you feed much less I think that you do of the other powder alternatives.

Is the prascend new addition?

Yup, the powder is roughly half that of FP and PE. Oddly my fussy horse will eat the powder with no issues. She does eat the pellets as well but does seem to prefer the powder.

Yardbird

Visit site
Just got a bit excited this evening when I found that I could get my horse to eat a tablespon of Pro Mineral in a marmite sandwich made with 1 slice of bread folded over. So 2 slices of bread would be enough to give him the full 25 mg.