Best place for a new or 2nd hand Thorowgood T6 or Kent & Masters saddle?

LiveryList

www.*******.co.uk
Been told today bargain second hand saddle i had is never going to fit Ellie :( so on a mission to find a new one. Saddler has recommended Thorowgood T6 or a Kents & Masters saddle.

Having researched them when i got home i like them and saddler recommended them as Elllie is only a baby so all the changeable bits will mean i dont have to keep changing saddles or faffing about as she gets taller/ fatter/ more muscly :rolleyes:

Where is the best place (i.e the cheapest :eek:) to get one ither new or second hand. Looked on Ebay and all seem to be cob models or old versions without interchangeable gullet.

I need a medium wide (but interchangeable so doesn't really matter on width at purchase) with a standard tree and 17-18". I am in Hampshire.

Any ideas or suggestions as to best place to buy? :)

xena_wales

Visit site
I've just sold two standard wither T6s!! One was a 17" and one was an 18". I'd really recommend that you try to ride in one before forking out for one as the seat size really does make a big difference.

According to Thorowgood's website, I would need an 18" seat, but when I bought the saddle I found that the knee rolls were too far forward, as they're really quite forward cut.

I also tried a 17", but as everything is proportionally smaller (length of flaps etc), I found that too small!! I've got a 17.5" T4 now and that fits perfectly, but I'm still on the lookout for the elusive 17.5" T6!

If you're buying off ebay, be warned that most people get the seat sizes wrong. It's usually marked on the underneath of the small flap above the girth straps, so get them to look there:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i193/xena_wales/T6-6/13.jpg

LiveryList

www.*******.co.uk
Thanks for all your feedback.

None on ebay and one on pre-loved but is black. I have always been wary buying saddles over ebay as people always seem to be a bit out on seat size and tree size. I'd rather spend a bit more for a new one to make sure it can be made to the right sizes for everything.

I have found a saddlery up north that will make a T6 to order for me to the required measurements as i also need a 17 1/2" (any good to you xena_wales?). Apparently brown usually has to be made to order anyway so less common to find second hand ones because the people that buy them keep them! He is quoting £407 + £10 delivery in UK which seems a fairly good price as it can all be made to Ellie's requirements.

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
Thanks for all your feedback.

None on ebay and one on pre-loved but is black. I have always been wary buying saddles over ebay as people always seem to be a bit out on seat size and tree size. I'd rather spend a bit more for a new one to make sure it can be made to the right sizes for everything.

I have found a saddlery up north that will make a T6 to order for me to the required measurements as i also need a 17 1/2" (any good to you xena_wales?). Apparently brown usually has to be made to order anyway so less common to find second hand ones because the people that buy them keep them! He is quoting £407 + £10 delivery in UK which seems a fairly good price as it can all be made to Ellie's requirements.

Theres a 17'' standard one on there now! Though if you need a 17.5 one then theres not! lol.

However, keep checking on there. I was lucky enough to have my TWO saddles stolen (both new Kent and Masters) so had been on the lookout for second hand ones due to funds and because of them being relatively new to the market, there wasn't much about.

I managed to find a FairFax (same people as TG and K&M) Dressage one and then got a new K&M brown standard gp off of ebay. It arrived today, so am really pleased. Obviously would of preferred not to have replaced them both in the first place of course!!!

Google search too, as they do come up. I saw so many dressage ones (after I had brought mine) but they do have more cobs ones than standard at present, but keep looking if that's what your after as i am sure they will come up soon. Oh actually I think I will pm you.

LiveryList

www.*******.co.uk
Yes, unfortunately i need a 17 1/2" or 18". Found the place i'm hoping to get mine from from googling but many of the results were for dressage or cob saddles. Big variant in prices as well!! Bloke as Eskdale seems really helpful tho so think i'll go with him!