Best place to buy micronised linseed & brewers yeast from?

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I've recently started feeding micronised linseed & brewers yeast & was able to get some small bags to try (P can be very fussy!) which he seems to eat, so I'm now looking to get bigger bags (especially of the micronised linseed) to continue feeding.

Where is the best place to buy these from?

Also, I've seen a few variations of linseed - cooked linseed & linseed meal - are these the same as micronised linseed?

JillA

Visit site
Depends where you are TBH - I can get the cooked linseed (yes, it is much the same) for about £17 from my wholesalers and Countrywide do the same one for about £18. If you are anywhere where they use Youngs as wholesalers they sell Charnwood Millings version for about £21, but unlike buying on line you don't have to pay carriage. Not sure if you can buy Brewers Yeast in bulk, will be watching to see if anyone knows.

rowan666

Visit site
Brewers yeast from progressive earth ebay and I get my micronised linseed on ebay too £25 inc delivery for 20kg bag but can't remember the seller off hand

TPO

Visit site
Excellent service and cheapest supplier of Charnwood that I would use for Micronized Linseed is Farm and Pet Supplies.

Delivery is only £2.95; MUCH cheaper to buy from them than direct from Charnwood surprisingly!

d_morrow

Visit site
For linseed I use my local pet supplies merchant and he gets it from a distributor hence no extra delivery charges. It's Charnwoods 20kg bag - last bag I bought was feb this year and it was only £21.50. In answer to your other question - you need to ask for "micronised full-fat linseed meal" (as opposed to the lozenges which are made from by products of the milling process afaik). OP - Don't know if you're aware but I understand that linseed plus brewers yeast plus seaweed covers most of the vit/min requirements of the horse (and is, I believe, what goes into Total Eclipse). Another addition worth mentioning is magnesium oxide. Source ref : Feet First by Nic Barker and Sarah Braithwaite.

d_morrow

Visit site

Leo Walker

Visit site
For linseed I use my local pet supplies merchant and he gets it from a distributor hence no extra delivery charges. It's Charnwoods 20kg bag - last bag I bought was feb this year and it was only £21.50. In answer to your other question - you need to ask for "micronised full-fat linseed meal" (as opposed to the lozenges which are made from by products of the milling process afaik). OP - Don't know if you're aware but I understand that linseed plus brewers yeast plus seaweed covers most of the vit/min requirements of the horse (and is, I believe, what goes into Total Eclipse). Another addition worth mentioning is magnesium oxide. Source ref : Feet First by Nic Barker and Sarah Braithwaite.

Seaweed is not recommended for horses anymore due to the high iodine content amongst others. Copper and zinc are important though, esp as most of the UK grazing is high in iron.

DJ

Visit site

TPO

Visit site
Seaweed is not recommended for horses anymore due to the high iodine content amongst others. Copper and zinc are important though, esp as most of the UK grazing is high in iron.

This

I think there's possibly an update on the Rockley site that they wish to amend the page re the feeding of seaweed. Basically it's don't.